Making your own reef rock is easy:
    2 bags of aragonite sand
    1 bag of portland II/III cement
    2-4 bags of crushed coral
    A few buckets
    Latex gloves
    A trowel
    Some cool shells

I used 1 cup cement, 6 cups of sand, and 1.5 cups of water, mixed to consistency of cottage cheese (makes 2 small or one big rock). I used a bucket of damp crushed coral to make the mold.

I dug the shape I wanted into the crushed coral and ploped in the cement, and used layers to create interesting shapes with shells to accent! 24 hours to set.

2-6 weeks soaked in water depending on how often you change it (at least once a day). When the PH does not rise after a water change they are safe to use in your reef!

Re: Making your own reef rock

This process works IJO...I've been doing it for some time with great success. *My recipe differs slightly. *Instead of six cups of sand, I use 4 cups of sand, and 2 cups of oyster shells. *I also add oyster shells to the molds. *The Oyster shells add a little bit of buffering ability to the new rock. *They feed oyster shells to chickens adn they're very cheap at any farm supply store like CO-OP. *Also, cure the new rock in fresh water and monitor pH...after a week or so, you're all set. *Good Luck...it's a fun project.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo

welcome to the board mouse6196  

Thanks for the tip.. so many different ways to create this affordable rock.  Just takes a while to get it looking like the real thing.

I see another project on my hands... ack!!!   ;D

I place mine in a tank with really purple corraline.  I also take coralline covered rock and brush it with a toothbrush infront of the powerhead.  I'm told this seeds the rock.  I keep atinic and coralife bulb over the tank. It takes a year or so before they look really good.  A friend of mine keeps his in his sump (once cured of course) and a few pieces in his refugium.  A year goes by fast.  Good Luck! 8)
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!