Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DSB in Sump vs tank

Well, i'm getting close to setting up my 90 gal with my old 50gal as a sump.

so here's the question, should i set my DSB up in the sump or in the main tank? what do you think?
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    If I could do it again, I would do it in the sump. This way, if the need ever came up, you could take the DSB out without needing to tear down your main tank.

A 1" "dusting" of sand would suffice in the main tank.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

so if you have 1 inch of sand in the main tank, is cleaning of the sand necessary? or should there be enough critters in it after awhile to keep it clean?
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

also, how does all the small sand particals affect pump life?
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    A cleanup crew should be able to keep the sand clean.

As for the sand particles, I would house the return pump in a separate chamber within the sump so that no sand actually gets to the pump.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Originally posted by barry_c
    so if you have 1 inch of sand in the main tank, is cleaning of the sand necessary? or should there be enough critters in it after awhile to keep it clean?
    do u have to "clean" the DSB in the main tank? i just stir it up every now and then (twice a month?) i figure this would refresh "dead" spots
    Albert
    My Photos

I only recently upgraded to my 75g Oceanic and it is BB (Bare Bottom). Separate sump and refugium with DSB. I'm really, really pleased with the maintenance requirements, or relative lack thereof, and the ability to get much more flow over the reef. I decided to try the new one this way based on some of the talk on RC and so far, I very much like it. Time will tell.

but i feel that BB loses the "natural" look. - not to mention some fish and inverts would not feel at home on a glass floor.
    Albert
    My Photos

i agree with alrha, doesn't look natural and would stress some of our inhabitants.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

I'm a huge fan of deep sand beds.

I'm not convinced that a remote bed would function as well as an in tank one. To be a true DSB it would have to be fed. Also, detritus from the main tank wouldn't necessarily find it's way to the remote DSB. The critters that spawn in the DSB wouldn't necessarily benefit the main tank as well either, some would get through the sytem but not as much. A remote DSB couldn't really have good circulation or it would blow the sand around too much but less circulation would mean it wouldn't benefit the main tank as much too.

There's huge controversy over this topic on Reef Central but I guess I'm just not convinced that DSBs cause the problems that have been attributed to them. The nutrient sink story definitely doesn't wash. If you could see the amount of food I dump in every day (about the equivalent of 8 cubes a day right now) by rights my tank should be absolutely foul. I really think that the extra food is why my DSB functions as well as it does, my nitrates are always between 1.5 and 2.5.

A remote refugium to help keep the pod population up with a deep sand bed in it is a great idea though. I feed my refugium a ton too.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast