Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperator Angel

Imperator Angel

Ok, my yellow tang didnt make it (his fins were torn when i got him on sunday) so my wife went to the LFS and he gave us a credit for it. She got a juvenile imperator (emporer) angel - and paid the difference obviously.
    anyone have any insights on the care of this angel? i know my tank is youngish, but with my upgraded skimmer, better monitoring of pH, and better food choice, we are willing to give this angel a shot (from what i understand, it is hardy for an angel).
    all your thoughts are always welcome.
    Albert
    My Photos

Say goodbye to your corals .....

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

i only have softies, and i have seen reef tanks with it. as long as they are well fed, they will not care for my corals. right?
    Albert
    My Photos

ALRHA,

Order the book from IJO, it'll tell you the do's and don'ts. Then give it to your better half when she goes shopping ....

Marine Fishes - Pocket book - Scott W. Michael

Van

and yes, they do eat softies according to the book ...

Them like all other angels are hit and miss.

He may pick at the polyps on your softies.. i assume you keep some lethers? if you do just keep an eye oin them and ensure that the polyps are comming out like normal.. if not the my be staying retracted becouse they are being nipped at! ..

A beautiful fish to be sure but they are known coral and clam eaters. I have Scott Michael's book as well, it's excellent. A page per fish with maximum length, range, minimum aquarium size, foods & feeding, reef aquarium compatibility and captive care information for each. Amazon has it on sale right now, here's a direct link:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    Check out the fish on the cover, it's an imperator.

According to the book, this fish gets to be 15" long and the absolute minimum aquarium size is 135g. It says they can usually be kept with SPS and the more noxious soft corals - meaning everything else is lunch. Their feeding requirements need to be varied: spirulina and marine algae, as well as mysid shrimp or frozen shrimp and high-quality angelfish preparations. Feed at least 3 times a day.

I dunno Albert, this is not going to be an easy fish and is going to be too big for 72g pretty fast. I think a dwarf angel would have been a better choice. They stay smaller, are easier to feed and less likely to eat corals and clams. A bicolor angel is a nice choice, they get bigger than most dwarfs (5.9") but are still reasonably reef safe if well fed. Very beautiful too. I have one, can you tell?

Hope this helps.
    Susan

I've checked a couple of other sites online as well and the Min tank size I've been able to find was 100g. 3 others recommended min 125.

Were you planning an upgrade in the near future?

Feed them 3 time aday, A friend of mine had one in a 65 G and kept it very healthy for 18 months before it had to be moved to a 150g tank.. He did pick at some Sun Polyps that he had but that was it

He fed his 3 times aday a mix of Brine shirimp, mysis and plakton.. was very well and a very interesting fish!

Tooloud so far is the only one that didnt make me want to jump off a bridge. I had a queen before, and she didnt touch my corals. i have also read articles on angels indicating that they really are not as bad as most books make them out to be. I know a guy around here who has one in his reef without a problem. i will have to keep an eye on him i guess. he is now just a juvenile (still black with stripes) so i have a while till he grows up. by that time i will either have an upgraded tank, or can always sell him back to my LFS. as far as feeding, i will use (in addition to everything else i feed) Ocean Nutrition's Angel Fomula (should be specific to the needs of Angels).
    I have "Marine Fishes" - i should have given it to my wife had i known.
    Till then lets hope my luck will be as good as Toooloud's friend.
    Albert
    My Photos

Well then ALRHA let's look at the brighter side ... we wouldn't want you to jump after all, you'll become one of our resident experts on angel behaviour in the reef tank and be able to give actual experience as advice.

Most people don't try for fear of failure, if you have the guts to try then more power to you. :thumb:

Now I'll have the fish police all over me but what the hell do they know anyway ... they read too many books as well. :

Van

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast