Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Purple Tang wont eat!

i have this purple tang since sunday (4 days) and he refuses to eat anything i feed him (with celcon, garlic, the works) he wont eat frozen or flakes, and i see him getting very skinny (you can practically see his bones). he otherwise is out and around, but not eating, and i am worried about him.
    any suggestions?
    (yes, there is plenty of green algae growing in my tank, that what i got him for - to eat it!)
    Albert
    My Photos

Go to the chinese market and get some NORI....he may not eat this but I have yet to see a tang that refuses it. Also, I have had good luck with frozen brine shrimp (low nutritionally) or mysis shrimp. I hope he pulls through this....

If you use Nori (seaweed) wedge in between rocks in a couple places in the tank...worked for my unicorn 2 years ago when I got him...he went to a skeleton too but now is a big pig...

Good Luck Bud!
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Yes, nori worked for me too. I cut it to small pieces (6"x6") and roll it up, fold it, then attach it to the vegi clips. At first my yellow tang did not show any interest but after two days it went crazy for it.

I third the advise you have already been given. Tangs are herbivors, get ye to a market and get some nori.

Aside from the Nori, the only other thing i have seen added to any tank that a tang loves.. and have yet to see one not eat is Grape calupra!

I had rescuced a sick naso once really Thin.. hardly moving.. and i tried everything including Nori.. but when i added a hand full of Grape Calupra from my refugium he ate it up and he lived off it for about 3 weeks before he started to eat nori and other prepared foods.

Unhappy ALRHA

not to get on your case my friend but you have a SAIL FIN TANG, ANGEL and now a PURPLE! in a 72g. your heading for disaster. those 3 fish will get big in a hurry and will pollute your water,stress out each other and die in no time. Your really going to have to sit down and rethink your fish opptions. These all beautiful fish and hard to resist but those fish are most sertainly doomed! sell or trade or return at least 2! mostly the Angel and purple or Angel and Sailfin. The purple will get very aggressive as will the Angel.I hate to see awsome creatures just languish and die in a tank. Please don't be upset with me but this is from 3 years of constant study.

Ouch,

sorry did not read that! .. did not know you had it in the tank with a Sailfin tang as well.. it might just be stressed out as thats 3 farily large and dominate fish in on tank!.. that size.. i would not recommend keeping any of those fish in a tank that small.

could you tell me what the sizes are of the other fish? If the angel is larger than the new purple tang.. you might want to return it..

Busted by the Tang Police....I missed that too...stress will definately cause this also. See if you can seperate him in a seperate tank....or throw in a divider..if you can.

then go with Nori or spirulina
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I think the Tang police police are missing an important point here ...

He states in the first post "i have this purple tang since sunday (4 days)... i see him getting very skinny (you can practically see his bones).

This fish was already doomed... he should have checked if he ate at the LFS. Give the kid a break... he'll know better next time.

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

ALRAH...

Is the tang active in the tank....have you seen him pick at all at the live rock yet. Another thing you can do if does pick at teh rock work, is take strips of the Nori (stuff they wrap sushi in and available at most markets) and stick it in your rock work. Not too much that it will foul your tank but 5-6 strips at different locations should do. At times, if the other tangs pick at it, so will your new tang.

Please keep us posted. as stated above, this fish may not have been eating at the LFS and you got stuck with it, but lets try to save it. If it doesn't make it, it's hardly your fault and maybe the LFS will help you out with a credit...contact teh LFS now and tell them the fish has not eaten from day one but that you are trying...your repeat business in this hobby is everything to a store or business.

Keep at it...I've seen worse cases (in my own tank) turn out for the better....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast