Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: power outage

power outage

lost power last night for five hours. Had the battery backup air blower unit that i purchased from Aquaria.ca, Saved my butt! Did a nice job of oxygenating the water. Between that, throwing a blanket over the tank to slow down the heat loss, and firing up the coleman, to heat up some water, things went pretty smoothly. No losses.
    Ivan, good thing I went straight home last nite. lol.

ijo
    Thats awesome Gerry!!! Those little battery powered air units are tank savers... for those of you who don't have a UPS or generator and don't want to spend lots of $$$ on one. The least you can do is go for one of these air pumps by Penn Plax. Insurance for your tank at 18.99 is not a big investment.

Penn Plax: Silent Air B11

IJO

A damn small investment, considering the thousands of dollars you're trying to protect. If you do nothing else, get one.

Thanks for the info. I'm new so still learning about the little tricks and life savers. This will be on my xmas list for sure.

ijo
    Speaking of X-Mas gifts... I'm in the process of creating Gift Certificates for AC... Just another idea from our DIY expert ReefVan!!

IJO

YAH scooby. Last major outage for me was the eastern seaboard deal 4 months or so ago. At that time, had to rely on a kitchen wisk (egg beater) and good old muscle, beating the water every ten minutes or so. Try that for 6 or seven hours. The blanket was something new too this time around.

Gerry, Try it for 26 hours..lol,

We where out for 26 hours, i was using a bucket pulling water out of my sump and dumping it into the main tank.. did that for 10 mins every hour.. IT WAS A KILLER!.. and i lost all my sps... on that outage! .. So now i have decided to go with a 300 Watt Power inverter.. so when the power goes out.. i just go plug it into my car.. much cheaper to run the car through a tank of gas than to lose what i did again.

tooloud. ouch! and big time ouch! We live and learn most often the hard way, don't we. Way to go, to stick with it. A lot of people with that kindda experience just said f*k it, not worth the heartbreak.
    The invertors great idea too. I should pick 1 of those up too at least for the heater, maybe a powerhead. But burning the coleman gives you that camping feeling. lol.
    The nice thing about the battery back up unit is that it kicks in if it senses loss of power. Good even if your not home, till u can get home.

Generator...there is nothing like them....only one pull and off to bed.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo
    Just make sure the generator is outside... or you'll be sleeping for a very very long time.

IJO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast