Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

newbie with 5 gallon nano

Hi everyone, and thanx for the BIG welcome! Well my husband I started with a 15 gallon freshwater tank in July 2003. It was his idea and the condition was that he was going to do all the cleaning and water changes. So we started with "easy" fish: guppies. Yah, yah I know but you gotta start somewhere! Anyways, after a few weeks, my females started having their fry and one by one they got eaten. When I saw this, I was on a mission to save their worthless little lives so I bought a breeding trap. Well, I couldn't keep them all in there because the other females were pretty big and I felt I had to go to plan B. So I got a 5 gallon for them. Anyways to make a long story short, I was very successful and when my husband saw that I took over, he went and bought himself a 55 gallon and filled it with "aggressive fish"(in freshwater language). So, with that, we were looking for some variety in fish and noticed how colorful and beautiful saltwater tanks are. So here we are starting with a 5 gallon saltwater nano and welcoming any suggestions! :biggrinbo

I was poking a bit of fun at Ivan in the other thread about the 15 gallon nano, but seriously, if you are going to start a salt water tank, don't go tiny, go for a minimum 30 gallons for your first tank.

Saltwater, while IMHO is vastly more interesting and beutiful than FW, requires a fair bit of reading and knowledge to be successful. It seems a bit intimidating at first, but really, it isn't that bad. Going for a bigger tank at first will give you more room for error.

As always, take your time, and be patient.

Unhappy welcome and sorry

That your in Sudbury!!! Just teasing! I'm a friend of Ivans and I'm from ELLIOT LAKE so I guess the jokes on me. Bristleworm is right, saltwater is a different hobby and 30g should be the minimum. Those nanos are cool though but a lot more work as saltwater creaters need very good water quality and thats just really hard to keep in a small tank.

I agree with the Above..

but if you to go small.. Atleast run a AC 500 eith the media removed and run about 10 pound of live rock and 2 inch sand bed.. that will be a good start.. and the Ac500 will give you that little added water volume..

are you looking at suggestions on fish? really that small you are going to be stuck with one smaller fish, I prefer the True tank raised percula clowns.. very active and nice personalility!

Hey Johnny Boy, I grew up in Elliot too!
    Thanx for the feedback. Yah, the guy at the Reef Shop suggested that we go 15 gallons for starters. But since we're all set up we'll take up the challenge. And if we fail we will keep you guys entertained with our crashes!humm: Just kiddin'.
    Also we were concidering a pair of clowns, if they fit! lol

i dont konw if a pair would fit.. Just becosue its much smaller.. if you could get a couple that has paired off maybe.. but if not they will fight and most liikly lose one!

If I buy them already paired together then I should be OK, right?!

This is why you want the NANO Cube!

Check it out, its a firends nano at his store.. Amazing.. tell you if i could afford the $200 I would have one!

I think a pair of Oscellaris or Percula is too much for a tank that small, but if you buy a juvenile pair, you won't have to worry about the fighting.

Yes, Toooloud, that's the tank I was talking about.

Curious though, if he is keeping clams in that, than he must have upgraded the lighiting package that it normally comes with.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast