Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coraline Algae

keeping proper parameters, some light and whole lot of patience is the key.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

i remember wanting coraline to grow in but now that i have it i just want to get rid of it lol its a pain to clean off the glass

ijo
    It will eventually cover the glass if you do not stay on top of it. I love the look on the rock but trying my best to keep it off the glass(its a losing battle)

IJO

i used to keep my glass clean fairly easily... every week whe i would do a water change i would scrape one pane of glass with a credit card and just rotate it about the month. Even if its clean just do a quick scrape. Yes i know its a pain cause you have to do it every week but this way you are cleaning each pane every four weeks and that really isn't enough time for alot of coraline to develop (especially if you use a magfloat every couple of days). I used this system and never had an issue with coraline on my glass

i dont mind scraping it once in a while but my tanks kinda old and getting scratches so when i scrap it clean it stays in the scractes

When I purchased my magfloat scraper, I couldn't believe how much easier cleaning the coralline algae became. If you don't have it, get it. I also have a kent blade scraper that works great, but that means getting my hands wet. With a glass tank, get a blade scraper, it's much easier.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

liv
    had my lights on the new main tank now for just a few weeks... already coraline everywhere he he.

old story that i keep repeating.. one of my first tanks years ago ( 130g 6footer ) I could not get coraline.. ever..not a little bit..nowhere.. nada...after 8months and trying different bulbs etc... tried to ground my tank. that made it! within a week..had coraline growing.
    found out I had too much stray current in that tank from possibly those cheapo hagen 802's.. had like 6 of them lol but after grounding it.. was in business. I've been grounding all my tanks ever since. for two reasons, stray voltage.. and to trip the gfci so I do not get electrocuted.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Banned
    This is a helpful thread, learned so much from it and how to care for Caroline Algae

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12