Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for help with maintaing PH

was given the suggestion from a pet store to use baking soda. I find that I need to use this alot (2 or more times a week) to keep the PH low. My PH always seems to be high (around 8.4)

What kind of test kit are you using to test for pH?
    Have you tried any others to confirm the 8.4 ?
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Quote Originally Posted by pwall
    What kind of test kit are you using to test for pH?
    Have you tried any others to confirm the 8.4 ?
    I am using Nutrafin Test kit. Is it normal to have to lower my PH this often?

I hate Nutrafin, I can't wait to get a new kit.

I find that the tests are way off.

Quote Originally Posted by jason marshall
    I am using Nutrafin Test kit. Is it normal to have to lower my PH this often?
    I would say yes.
    If anything, many of us here have to raise our pH often, as to lowering it.

I recommend a Salifert test kit.

Regarding the pH, when you test, have the lights been on for a while? It is normal for the pH to move up and down between night and day.
    So, it the 8.4 the high or the low ?
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Quote Originally Posted by pwall
    I would say yes.
    If anything, many of us here have to raise our pH often, as to lowering it.

I recommend a Salifert test kit.

Regarding the pH, when you test, have the lights been on for a while? It is normal for the pH to move up and down between night and day.
    So, it the 8.4 the high or the low ?
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will try the Salifert when this one runs out (Which should be soon) The 8.4 is the highest on the chart. I usually test this in the evening after the lights have been on for a approx 8-10 hrs. I will run a test tomorrow mor and compare.
    Jason Marshall :biglaugh2
    Saint John, NB

IMO the easiest way to maintain proper PH is to keep the water quality high by removing bio matter ASAP. Roting bio matter uses up lots of O2 and can affect PH more then one might think. As the tank ages bio mater collects in the sand, on and around rocks and in sumps. Keep that stuff to minimum and do regular proper water changes and PH should take care of its self. The more stuff you add to the water in an effort to correct PH the more trouble you may find your self in.
    Rob

ph

Why is your pH high to begin with? And yes lowering it is normal. I drip kalk 24/7 and as a result my pH tends to swing high. I therefore also drip baking soda as part of a 2 part alk/cal supplement. If you need to raise your ph you just bake the baking soda to produce washing soda (this will help raise your ph). But I would still want to know why your ph is high to start with. Better test kits may give you a more accurate picture of your ph.
    Also what Rob said is true so make sure you adhere to proper maintenance habbits.
    And so you understand your tank and its daily ph cycle try testing with the lights out. And then with the lights on during the regular course of a day. The numbers should not be the same. And will show you the ph swing that your tank inhabitants most endure daily.
    Jason

A pH of 8.4 isn't the end of the world, espically if you're stable at 8.4.

I agree with what OSD is telling you but biomatter & decomp lower pH, not raise it. Unless you're dosing something, raising the pH is challenging.

I'd get a better test kit & see where you really are. Then see how stable you are. Keeping in mind that the tank does fluctuate as pointed out by others.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Quote Originally Posted by jason marshall
    was given the suggestion from a pet store to use baking soda. I find that I need to use this alot (2 or more times a week) to keep the PH low. My PH always seems to be high (around 8.4)
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I did a 50% water change and noticed a slight difference in PH. I took alot of my sand out also, as this is something I haven't done in the past. Is there any product anyone reccomends that I should use to lower my PH (or should it just decrease on its own). I leanred a hard lesson, Baking Soda is used to raise PH. I was using it to lower my PH (Still new at this). I was in the pet sotre and noticed a PH buffer. Does anyone use this, and is it a valuable additive to a tank? Please let me know

Thaks
    Jason
    Jason Marshall :biglaugh2
    Saint John, NB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast