Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy I've lost everything...

I still can't believe everything is gone...I'm devestated with what happened, I can't stop thinking and worrying about my poor tank...here's what happened....I went away for 3 days, during that time my air conditioner was turned off by a friend who thought she was doing me a favor. When I returned home my aquarium was ruined. I'm not sure what the temperature actually got to due to my friend coming in earlier to turn the air back on before I got home, but when I walked into the room to see how my aquarium was, I could barely see in it. The water was foggy, all my coral was either gone or very close to death. All the fish were fine, which is why I think it was the temperature that killed everything. I immediatly did a 30% water change. Then I noticed a few days later the rock was starting to have a rust look to it. So I started to take out the rocks and scrubbed each one tring to get the dead coral off, and to scrub the rust off. I also took the top layer of the sand off and started to rinse it since it too had a rusty red layer on it. I waited until I could clearly see in the aquarium to put the rock back and didn't disturb much when I replaced everything, less than a day later my rock is covered in what looks to be rust and I am cleaning the glass about every 6 hours in order to see in it? What do I do? Do you think it was a heat problem? I have no coral left but I want to start over with a new collection, should I do more water changes until the rust stops? Is this a type of cycle that the tank needs to go through and will eventually go back to normal? Should I clean the rocks again? I have no idea what to do? Please help me?

oh my gosh, that really sucks!

ok first thing u do is make sure the nitrate and ammonia is back down, cause there will be a huge cycle.

not too sure what the rusty stuff is, might be algal bloom or something

once u get cycling out of the way u can try adding animals again, but do so slowly cause its pretty much a new tank again.

good luck to you... take it slow and hope for the best

That "RUST" thing sounds to me like a cyano outbreak.
    I don't think that heat would kill ALL of your corals.
    It sounds to me more like your powerheads were off (or return pump also).
    No water movement and extra heat calls for cyanobacteria outbreak.
    But that's my opinion. See with the other guys what they think.
    Also, test your water for copper. That could wipe out all the corals, and indirectly cause the outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaqua
    That "RUST" thing sounds to me like a cyano outbreak.
    I don't think that heat would kill ALL of your corals.
    It sounds to me more like your powerheads were off (or return pump also).
    No water movement and extra heat calls for cyanobacteria outbreak.
    But that's my opinion. See with the other guys what they think.
    Also, test your water for copper. That could wipe out all the corals, and indirectly cause the outbreak.
    I agree, that the 'rust' is probably cyano. probaly due to the massive amounts of nutrients (from your corals)

I dont turn on all my lights in the summer some days as the heat in my apartment get too unbearable.
    id get a bottle of 'cycle' and dose for a few days before I did much more.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Lots of carbon should help clear things up. And I think with the added heat and possible power outage, there could have been a lack of oxygen that could have damaged the corals to a point of no return.

The rust is likely either cyano bacteria or diatom algae.

Disturbing everything to scrub the rock is likely not the right approach, you will end up removing beneficial bacteria and possibly damaging the life in your live rock.

I would test all the parameters you can. Make sure the temperature remains stable. If you see Ammonia or Nitrites step up the water changes and throw a Carbon filter in there somewhere.

If you want to remove the Cyano or Diatom, do it by brushing the rock in the tank, gently, and syphoning off what floats up.

If you have a skimmer, set it to skim a little wetter for the next little while.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Wend121, sorry to hear about your losses. Wend121 states that all the corals were dead, but the fish were fine. Therefore the power heads were definitely not shut off. If there was no circulation in the tank, the fish would have been the first to die, and before the corals. During the big power outage a few years ago I lost all my fish and invertebrates due to no circulation, but did not loose a single coral. It also did not cloud up the water.

When you say there is rust over the rocks, is it slimey, or encrusting? If it is slimey, then it is cyano. Test all your water parameters to see if you are cycling. Starting over is no fun, especially with all the work, care and love we give our tanks. We have all been there at one time or another. I really think the heat issue is what triggered your crash. Cres is giving you good advice.

The rusty stuff on the rocks is actually not slimy, it just looks the rocks are actually rusting...I'm also cleaning green algea off glass now 3 times a day. I dont have the supplies to do a water check right now unfortunatly. :crap: but hope to by the end of the week. Should I do another water change right away or wait?

I have some before and after pics

Before:http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...00/ppuser/2013

After: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/u...3/000_0086.jpg

I'm very sorry to hear this. Maybe the heat killed one coral, and that was enough to foul the water to kill the others.

My condolences.

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast