question about using "Cycle"

I am fairly new to the salt water world and have had my tank for almost a year now. I have been pouring 5 caps of Cycle on a weekly basis, (since I have a 55 gallon tank) and recently was talking to an employee in a LFS. Apparently it is only necessary to use "Cycle" for the first few months. Anyhow I have stopped using it, but am just looking to get a second opinion from the experts here. I want to make sure that by not using it, that it won't have an impact on anything. Should I use it only when I do water changes?
    Jason Marshall :biglaugh2
    Saint John, NB

It's used to jump start the bateria in a new tank.
    Since yours is already a year old, you don't need it anymore.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Plus I find that if you use LR, no cycling needed! It comes with the rock!

Wow, Hagen must love you! :biglaugh2

I would slowly wean your tank off of the Cycle. You've been using it for so long that your tank has adjusted and compensated for it...some of the bacteria may even be relying on it. To suddenly stop using it may have some unwanted side-effects.

Quitting cold turkey may have no effect at all, but one thing we all learn about this hobby is that messing around with our tanks when things are going well is where many of the problems come from.

I would drop the dosage by a capful every week.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Cycle is a whack load of bacteria in a bottle. You're tank isn't addicted too it & you won't need to wean it off of cycle.

As pointed out, you primarily use it to get your bio filter going, but there's nothing in a bottle of cycle that you won't get for free if you add water to your tank.

But: In addition to speeding up the process, it can save your bottom if you're having problems. Should you every notice your numbers go out of whack, esp. ammonia & nitrites, dosing some can give the bio-filter a "kick in the pants". After you've done your freaking out (partial, wet skimming, heavy carbon, chemi-pure, poly, hail mary.) adding cycle will help get things going again.

But squared: Cycle works best in freshwater. If you get out the magnifying glass, it says in the wee small print you need to dose double strength for saltwater.

But cubed: You definately do not need to dose it regularily. Once you're set up you're pretty much good to go. The bacteria population will grow / shrink with it's food supply.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

It isnt a bad idea to keep a new bottle around in case of a melt down.
    I love the stuff
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    Cycle is a whack load of bacteria in a bottle. You're tank isn't addicted too it & you won't need to wean it off of cycle.
    He's been dumping a ton of bacteria into his tank on a weekly basis...basically feeding his bio filter. What do you think is going to happen when he suddenly stops that? A bunch of bacteria may die off("The bacteria population will grow / shrink with it's food supply.") and the bio-handling capability of his tank may become compromised. While the rest of his bio filter should be able to handle it, and it shouldn't cause any problems, why not be on the safe side?

To each his own I guess. I've seen some things that weren't supposed to affect a tank, throw everything out of whack. There's no harm in being cautious is there?
    James...

There's nothing wrong with playing it safe, I just don't see 5 capfuls of bacteria making a difference one way or the other in a balanced aquarium.

There's an easy way to find out. Check your ammonia, nitrite & nitrates before you'd add your next batch of cycle and again the next day without doing a partial in between.

If there's a noticable difference, then you'll want to consider weaning the tank.

I'm predicting there won't be, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    There's nothing wrong with playing it safe, I just don't see 5 capfuls of bacteria making a difference one way or the other in a balanced aquarium.
    You're right it shouldn't make a difference...but shit happens. I guess I'm just really cautious when it comes to being consistant with my tanks. I've found that to be my key to success.
    James...

I dont think cold turkey will hurt your tank.
    i read somewhere the you actually cannot overdose your tank with this stuff
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500