Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Senior Member wend121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005

    Water pararmeters

    I am looking to but my first water test kit and don't know exactly what is nesessary to check in the water quality?

    Should I get the Master test kit (hagen) or buy seperatly?

    What should I be testing in the water, besides salinity?

    I have a powercompact lighting system so the coral I plan on keeping are going to be hardy and easy...mushrooms, zenia, leathers...

    I also only have 3 fish in the 75 gallon. 50 pounds of rock...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Hagen's not the best kit. Most people recommend the Salifert kits as the best choice. If you do buy Hagen, make sure it is a salt water kit; fresh water kits aren't that useful for marine tanks.

    Assuming that you are past the cycle phase, your testing neds will be low. Certainly, sg and termperature would be regular factors to measure. A refractometer and electric thermometer would be good investments. You will need ammonia and nitrate kits; the former in case things go bad; the later since high nitrates can lead to problems with corals. But, with a softie tank, higher nitrates may actually be somethwat beneficial.

    Beyond that, you should have a test kit for anything you plan to dose. If you planning to add calcium, you'd need a calcium kit. And so on. Otherwise, you won't know if you're adding enough, too much or just right. However, if you just plan to do water changes, then you don't really need regularly testing of much.

  3. #3
    ToX is offline
    Senior Member ToX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I look at

    and use salifert test kits

  4. #4
    Moderator Krugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    What you test really depends on what you want to keep.

    If you're keeping fish only, you need to have a pH kit (won't be used much once the tank is stable, but needed.) an ammonia kit (used mostly when cycling, and after that only if you suspect a problem), a nitrite and a nitrate kit (again both only used once you're stable if you suspect there's a problem)

    The pH kit should be used to measure pH of the bag when you get a new fish / coral / what have you. It's one of the parameters you need to match with your QT tank.

    If you're keeping hard coral, you need to have all the same kits on hand, but you'll need to regularily measure calcium and alkalinity. Those you'll likely end up testing weekly.

    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

  5. #5
    Senior Member wend121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Ok, so I know what most of the Acronyms stands for but what is KH, SG?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Marty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    KH (or dKH) refers to the German scale of degrees of carbonate hardness. It refers to the Alkalinity of your water. Some test kits use a different scale (meq/L) ...which stands for milliequivalents per Litre. Either is fine, just a different scale.

    S.G. stands for Specific Gravity.... in our case, refers to the amount of salt in the water...for example S.G of 1.024.

    Hope that helps

Similar Threads

  1. Bottled Water vs. Dechlorinated Tap Water
    By SB24 in forum Just Getting Started
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 04:50 AM
  2. How shoul I prepare water for water changes
    By Dockery in forum Water Quality
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 06:20 PM
  3. Water cooler bottled water
    By NinjaFruit in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 02:10 PM
  4. Tap Water
    By nbreau in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 07:38 PM
  5. Truth About R/O Water or Pure Water
    By ijo in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2003, 12:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts