Thread: PH question..

PH question..

Hello ,

I was told I could bring my PH level up by adding a bit of baking soda. Is this true. I have a 12 gallon tank and the PH is 8.0-8.2 .. How much would I need to add to stabalize it at 8.4 ?

thanks in advance

Bane

Smile

your ph is fine IMO and I wouldn't worry to much about it.keeping your salinity and ALK are more important but I don't see a nano having much issue with this because chances are you have softies in there that do not consume a large amount of CA. what is in your nano?
    you are correct on the baking soda but for me I just dose KALK.

Sorry I am just new here so I am not that familiar with all the abrreveations. What do you mean by Nano .. I have a 12 gallon eclipse system. not sure what you mean by softies and some of the other things. Could you expand a bit.. sorry... !

Bane

There are coral that have a small skeletin and a large mostly water filled body. These are known as "softies". Mushrooms, Hammers, Frogspawn, Toadstools, Leathers, etc. are all softies.

There are other coral which have much larger stone based bodies with a thin layer of flesh over the stone. These consume much more Calcium and can cause your Alkalinity to fluctuate. When your Alkalinity is low, your PH can swing rapidly and over a greater range.

With "softies", regular water changes should keep your Calcium, Alkalinity and PH in check.

As Johnny said, 8.0 is fine. Even 7.9 works, as long as you don't get rapid large swings on a daily basis. To check, measure your PH early in the morning (just before lights on). This will typically be your lowest PH. Then check at night (just before lights off). This will typically be your highest PH.

If the swing is less that 0.2, no problem. If it is in the .4-.5 range, you may need to get your Alkalinity raised a little, or aerate at night to blow off the excess C02.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Wow you guys are good. Thank you very much for the info. I am loving the whole saltwater thing. I used to be into Tropical fish alot and never even considered saltwater. It is so much more interesting and fun to watch.

Thanks again guys you have been a big help

Bane