altering pH fast or slow

I just arrived home after a day away and noticed that my corals aren't doing so well. I tested all my parameters - everything is zero, but my pH came up as 8.8 or above. So I was going to do a water change and I tested the new water - it was high too. Obviously there's a problem with my source water. Here's my question: do I lower the pH fast or slow? If I go too fast, will my corals react badly? If I go too slow, will they be hurting from staying in the high pH for too long?

:help:

8.8 is *very* high. So high that I suspect your test kit needs replacing, esp. considering that your source water is testing that high.

Before you do anything drastic, beg, borrow, steal (okay purchase) a new, known good pH test kit and re-measure. If your pH is actually at 8.8, you need to lower it gradually.

Not as gradually as Salt, but you don't want the animals to suffer from pH shock. I'd suggest no faster than 0.1 pH / hour.

If the coral were doing okay previously, and you've not noticed a major change in the water, my money is on your test kit being past it's best before date.

Good luck!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ct_ID=mil-ph51

anyone ever use this ph tester... if so, was it accurate ???

Get refractometer.

There's nothing wrong with the pH tester you've listed Claude, but you will have to keep it calibrated. I personally prefer monitors over that & I have pH probe on my AquaController.

Before you buy, look into how they're supposed to be stored between uses & how frequently they will need calibration. For example, you may not be able to let the tip dry out between uses. I'm pulling that out of the air, googe the item & see if you can find a manual for it.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.