Thread: salit mix

salit mix

has and one used Red Sea Marine Salt or heard any thing aboult it?

it is a good price.

It is a good brand as most of us use Instant ocean though.
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

I've been using Red Sea for over 2 years...haven't had any problems with it that I'm aware of.
    And at $34 a pale (good for 200 gallons).... (well, that was the Boxing Day sale price at BA)
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

people bad mouth every salt out there, i use it because that was what the tank was run on when i first got it. i traded some work for an established FOWLR, bought a larger tank and wanted to match the salt for the upgrade. i have been meaning to change to Reef Crystals because people say it ( Red Sea ) has nitrates and phosphates in it ( i've tested and found nothing except low Ca and Mg ). when i look at $90 for 160g or $55 for 200g ( regular BA prices ) i just can't be bothered to change.

PS: pwall are you running a reef or FOWLR?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I have used red sea for around 4 years now without issues. I have kept FO and then moved to reef with a variety of softies, LPS and Clams without issues. I have not had any algae problems during this time.

Here is an article published by the university of Hawaii I beleive. I found this several years ago when I had to change salt types.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dyn.../1/default.asp

Red Sea salt here for almost 2 years with no issues. I have full blown mix reef including sps and clams.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

when i asked the guy working at BA when i bought me, he just said, keep an eye out, because if you are swiching from another salt to the red sea, you might get some different algea growth because the salts contain different nutriants..

That's not bad advice.

If everything is well in the tank, switching salt brands isn't a big deal. The animals may need to aclimate to the new salt mix, but a 10% partial, even with 100% different salt mix, isn't terrible.

Otherwise salt is a personal preference & environment. A salt with a higher Ca isn't as useful in a FOWLR tank as it might be in an SPS tank. YMMV...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

i have adjusted dosing my 2 part to account for the low Ca. others just add Ca to the RO/DI in the reservoir. all salts have some deficiencies, if it's not Ca it's I , Mg or Sr ......... no salt is a perfect match for seawater, just use what is easy to get.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

IO has always been great for me.