Thread: Need Help!

Need Help!

Anybody in my region (Gatineau/Hull) has something to test copper?

My xenia is melting! After some reaserch on the web I found it might be copper?

Don't know if I can trust te RO water I get at my grocery store?

Thanks!
    P.S. I'm french so I never make any typos......they are actual mistakes :sorry:
    I'm not in a rush.....but I am on a budget! :bigcry:

Do you have any inverts in your tank? If so, it's unlikely the problem is copper ... they would be dying pretty quickly as well.

Everything else in the tank looks OK?

The shrooms are not opening up anymore and the xenia are melting.

What can be wrong?
    P.S. I'm french so I never make any typos......they are actual mistakes :sorry:
    I'm not in a rush.....but I am on a budget! :bigcry:

PH, Calcium, Alkalinity, salinity and temperature. These can be wrong too.

As stated your inverts will suffer from Copper before anything else.

What is your water change regimen? When did you last change?

If it was just the Xenia, it could be more subtle. They seem to thrive in some tanks and fail in others. But if everything is suffering, it is time to cover the bases.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Do you see an improvement after a water change? If not, Is the light being reduced by deposits on the glass?
    HermitCrab

Xenia are frail when it comes to ph and salinity. Sudden changes in either arfe not favorable to these corals. Also xenia tend (not always) prosper in tanks with high doc's. My first symptom of my tank going awry is my xenia starting to reproduce and thrive. If they always look like they are about to disapear, my water is usualy right on.
    Jason

what do you mean by high DOC's....I'm trying to figure out what that stands for but I'm drawing a blank...

Disolved Organic Compounds. Roughly speaking "dirty water".

Better skimming/filtration, reduced bio load, less feeding, macro algae and water changes will reduce the DOC count.

It is a fairly broad term to incluce both those things we can measure, Nitrate, Nitrite, Phosphates, and those we can't.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.