Drasticly Low PH

Hey All

I seem to be having a ongoing battle with low ph. My calcium is 410ppm and alk is 8-9dkh my ph at night is 7.45 and during the day may go up to 7.8 I am using a American marine ph monitor to test this, which I just re calibrated twice to be on the safe side and also checked with a Milwaukee ph unit and see the same results. Also I have checked it with a seachem and instant ocean ph test kits which are roughly giving me the same results minus that the kits just display the lowest readout. My question is what would be causing this when everything else in the tank is stable no nitrate no nitrite no ammonia. everything in the tank looks fine nothing is showing signs of visible stress but I don't want to depend on that alone that its not causing a problem with something. I am running my fuge on opposite light cycles with the tank well fuge is on 16hrs and off for 8hrs during the day when the halides are on. I just recently added a deltec ap501 calcium reactor to my system, currently as of right now its disconnected to be on the safe side. Any ideas or help with this would be great as I am lost and keep running down roads I don't want to run down anymore.

Thanks

Matt
    120G In wall Reef 2 x 250 watt Phoenix 14k ARO Ballasts, 660 Icecap with 2 x 60" URI VHO Super Actinic, 75G SUMP 90G Fuge with 2 x NO 30" T5 Coralife lights 1 x 400w 20k xm, Tunze 9010 Skimmer, Coralife Super Skimmer 220, MAG 18 Return display, Mag 9.5 to fuge, 2x Tunze 6060, 2x Tunze 6080, 2x Hydor Koralia 2, Reef Keeper 1 Controller, 2 x 250watt Ebo-Jager Heaters, 1 x Phosban reactors, Deltec PF-501 Calcium Reactor, Tunze Auto topoff, Deltec Km-500, Kalk Reactor RedSea Aquazone Plus 100mg.

Thats insanely low. Try this link out.

http://web.archive.org/web/200212211...e2002/chem.htm
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

I thought I'd follow this up with some amazing PH changes I noticed...
    We actually had a break from the super hot weather the past few days, so I thought I'd shut down the a/c and open up the windows to let fresh air in (and save afew bucks on hydro cause I'm so cheap).... To my total amazement, when I got home at the end fo the day, my PH was almost at 8.3! Just from opening up the windows... I didn't think I'd see much of a change, since my house is an older home and isn't super airtight. But it made a huge difference by having fresh air coming in... The last few days my PH readings are between 8.18 (night) and 8.30 (day)... For about the last 3 weeks (with central air on, and house closed up), my PH would be around 7.89(night) 8.02(day)... I didn't think carbon dioxide was that different from outside to inside my house, but apparently it is... I had read a post from another member who drilled a small hole outside his house, and ran a fresh air line directly to his skimmer. Therefore giving him fresh air bubbles with outside levels of carbon dioxide in his skimmer, giving him far better PH readings... I think I'll try this method the next time I close up the house for the a/c and winter months... I'm also curious on if anybody else has tried this and/or noticed simliar results.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Thanks for the info,
    I ended up doing a 15% water change and disconnected my coil denitrator. I found the water leaving the coil denitrator was 0.2 lower then the tank its self. I also last night added in a air stone into each overflow box. Tonight I think I will try running an air line from outside to my skimmer to see if I get any results with that. As of this morning the ph in the tank was 7.6 before the lights turned on to 7.8 after light were on, so there seems to be a less of a fluctuation in the tank. But on the upside from doing those few things I've noticed an improvement so hopefully adding the air line to the skimmer will help even more. as I would like to get to using my CA reactor. I was thinking about using kalk at night to try to help with co2 but I dont want to cause more problems.
    120G In wall Reef 2 x 250 watt Phoenix 14k ARO Ballasts, 660 Icecap with 2 x 60" URI VHO Super Actinic, 75G SUMP 90G Fuge with 2 x NO 30" T5 Coralife lights 1 x 400w 20k xm, Tunze 9010 Skimmer, Coralife Super Skimmer 220, MAG 18 Return display, Mag 9.5 to fuge, 2x Tunze 6060, 2x Tunze 6080, 2x Hydor Koralia 2, Reef Keeper 1 Controller, 2 x 250watt Ebo-Jager Heaters, 1 x Phosban reactors, Deltec PF-501 Calcium Reactor, Tunze Auto topoff, Deltec Km-500, Kalk Reactor RedSea Aquazone Plus 100mg.

the kalk is definately a good idea. I've been dripping it in mine for a long time. Just aslong as it's a slow drip like they say, you won't have a problem.

Well I opened all the windows in the house last night and just left the fan in the furnace running. The pH actually ended up staying at 7.8 now with the lights on its already up to 7.88 hopefully I'll see 8.0 today.