Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water hardness

Water hardness

I am using a tetra Ca tester and it show my water at 1200ppm oF Ca. Is it possible that the test kit is picking up hardness from other forms of Calcium not the Ca++ form? I have not been able to grow coraline worth a darn in a year. All my water parameters are perfect. No Nirtrates, no Phosphates, ph is 8.3, high Mg level, 4 watts per gallon lighting. I am confused. I am going to try kalkwasser even though my Ca level is through the roof! ANY IDEAS?

liv
    absolutely, most kits calculate all calcium in just about every form. try using RO. water instead of tap water.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by westmeath View Post
    I am using a tetra Ca tester and it show my water at 1200ppm oF Ca. Is it possible that the test kit is picking up hardness from other forms of Calcium not the Ca++ form? I have not been able to grow coraline worth a darn in a year. All my water parameters are perfect. No Nirtrates, no Phosphates, ph is 8.3, high Mg level, 4 watts per gallon lighting. I am confused. I am going to try kalkwasser even though my Ca level is through the roof! ANY IDEAS?
    is this a tester or a test kit?

have you verified your result with a friends test kit or your LFS?

have you measured your alk?

how are you maintaining Ca, alk and Mg?

i would hold off on the kalk, until you figure out what is going on. are you using RO/DI to make your saltwater, or are you using tap water as liv has suggested?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I don't even measure my calcium, only alk, that is what matters more IMO. and like above stated, how are you keeping your levels stable?

Hardness

I am using RO Water for all my water changes and mak up water. My ph is good and check regularly. I currently have no alk test just KH and Conductivity. I have however had the water tested for Mg around 1200ppm to keep down unwanted algae. I would assume that the Ca is in a form of CaCo3, which is of no real use to coraline algae. Alkalinity test kits, are they good? which brand. I am also concerned about DOC (dissolved organic compounds) I have had great sucsess with poly Ox(Potassium permanganate) when my water quality fails. I am intereted in ORP, is there a way to determine this easily?

yes an alk test kit is important, i like salifert or seachem for brand.

are you adding anything to maintain Ca and Alk?

you should get someone else to verify your Ca test results, just to eliminate a bad test kit.
    `

My Gallery

updare on current water parameters

I tested all my water parameters last night. Feel free to comment.

PH 8.0
    GH 240dH
    KH 12dH
    Calcium as Ca++ 1200mg/L
    Mg as MgCO3 1475mg/L
    Nitrate=0
    Nitrite=2mg/l
    CO2=2mg/l
    PO4=0.8mg/l
    1.022SG
    Temp 22C

I assume that all of these are fine with the exception of the P04. The alkalinity must be good due to the buffering capacity of the water. Maybe an upgrade to a large protien skimmer to rid the Phosphate. I checked RO system and it is reading 0 for P04 transfer?

Now I have a hair algae problem.

liv
    Hi, your salinity should be a bit higher.. more like .23 to .25 ( most of the ocean is .026. ) corals like it better in the upper range.
    also, your mg is a bit high, ocean sits at 1100 to 1200. so you are over.
    ph could be between 8.1 and 8.3 if you can raise it a bit.

I use salifert kits.

hope this helps

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

i agree with all those and .....

the first thing that jumps out at me is that you have nitrite's ( toxic ) in a 1 year old tank. this is a very bad sign that the tank is cycling again / still or that there is some problem.

i wouldn't assume that your alk is good for any reason and i can almost guarantee you that there is a problem just based on how far out of whack your Ca and Mg are ( Ph too for that mater ). Ca, Alk, Mg, Ph are all very closely related and if one is out the others will be out and almost impossible to control unless a balance can be achieved.

i'll ask again, what are you using to maintain Ca, Alk and Mg? actually can you list any supplements that you dose and the frequency?

the algae is probably coming from the PO4 and if you find the source ( probably food, what are you using ) you should be able to get it back under control.

some more info about your system and even a pic or two would help.
    `

My Gallery

My tank was converted from fresh to salt last year. There is a bed of 2-3 inches of crushed substrate, the back wall is composed of diy rock, styrofoam with ciment over top. The water was orginally from my well, no RO system at the beginning ( the Ca and Mg in the well water was 600-800ppm each). I was having a huge diatom problem with the well water. I then switch to my softened water, there i ended up with high P04(In the water softner salts). I now have a RO system and auto top off. I do not as of yet supplement for the Ca and Mg. I supplement Iodine, Sr/Mo and Coral vert. Other than one dose of (this week)Kalkwasser as an attemp to rid P04. I have been running PHOSBAN in the overflow,it does not seem to help much.

Above the tank i have 4 54 watt T5HO 2x actinic 2 10000k. CPR overflow to a 55 gallon sump. Timer controls lighting 10 am to 7 pm. All frags in the tank are doing great,purchased in march 2007. There has only been fish reintroduced 2 weeks ago, due to ich problem in june. I would say that there is no P04 being added, no fish to feed. The only thing i can see is a battle between algae blooms for the P04 already in the system.

In the sump i use floss to trap debris, and a deep sand bed in the second chamber prior to skimming. I have a diy skimmer, on full speed i can skim 250 cc of green brown junk a day. I use Cheato as a macro in the sump as well a oysters. i change 5 gallons every 2-3 weeks.

I have 2 emerald crabs
    20 hermits
    20 various snails
    2 damsels(added to check stability for restocking)
    1 condylatus
    1 Seabae clown-Purchased today
    1 large Leather
    3 star poylp colonies
    Encrusting gargonia
    Toadstool
    1 feather duster.

This is about all I can think of? I am in Pembroke area and my supply to good products and advise is limited.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water hardness-aquarium001.jpg   Water hardness-aquarium003.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast