Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation PH is creeping up

I'm not sure if this is related, but I bought a bunch of reef crew last week and now my ph is creeping up slowly.. It has gone from 8.2 to 8.6 in one week and I haven't made any water changes. I've read that CO2 will bring down PH and is used in calium reactors, but does anyone know another way to lower ph?
    65 gallon reef tank
    1x150w HQI MH + 2x65w PC + 2xLED
    33 gallon sump
    Pentair 4 return pump, Octopus skimmer, 1x Hydor 2, 1x Koralia 3

liv
    raising ph.. u got any plants growing in your setup ? like cheato ?
    you dozing anything ? top off water is water only ? or kalkwasser ?

tell us a bit more on your system.. size, lighting periods.. inhabitants, plants, corals etc.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

how are you testing your pH??

what's your Ca, Alk and Mg and how do you maintain them?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    raising ph.. u got any plants growing in your setup ? like cheato ?
    you dozing anything ? top off water is water only ? or kalkwasser ?

tell us a bit more on your system.. size, lighting periods.. inhabitants, plants, corals etc.
    The tank is 65 gal, and sump about 20 gal. I've been only topping off with RO water - no kaulk. Lighting is 2x65w PC 1/2actinic 1/2 daylight for about 11 hrs, 1x 150w 10,000k metal halide for approx 9 hrs. I've got a fair amount of cheato in the sump which gets a 12hr 2x65w pc 10k daylight photoperiod overnight. There are 3 anthias, 3 chromis, 2 ocillaris clownfish and one flame angel in the tank with various small zoos, frogspawn, xenia, mushrooms, ricordia, montipora cap and digi.
    65 gallon reef tank
    33 gallon sump

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    how are you testing your pH??

what's your Ca, Alk and Mg and how do you maintain them?
    I just got a Milwaukee PH monitor/controller (but no calc reactor) a couple of weeks ago. That's what made me notice current creep in ph. When I got home today, it was 8.6, but tonight it is down to 8.5. It may have stabilized because this is the same pattern from yesterday.

I checked water params a few days ago (Sunday April 5th):

calcium: 440
    magnesium 1170
    strontium .95
    Alk: 10
    nitrate: negligible/undetectable
    phosphate: negligible/undetectable
    salintiy: 1.025

On Sunday the ph peaked at 8.4..

I usually use Tropic Marine Bio Calcium if the calc level gets to 400 or less. for the past few months I've been using a mix of 1 part Oceanic Salt to 3 parts Instant Ocean to increase the calc and mag levels of just using IO on its own for water changes.
    I was adding Kent strontium (1 cap) once a week and the same for Kent Essential Elements and Kent Coral Vite.
    65 gallon reef tank
    33 gallon sump

liv
    how did you calibrate the milwakee ph monitor/controller ?
    these things need to be calibrated quite often and specialy on first time use... possibly monthly after that to maintain resonable accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    how did you calibrate the milwakee ph monitor/controller ?
    these things need to be calibrated quite often and specialy on first time use... possibly monthly after that to maintain resonable accuracy.
    There's 2 point calibration: dipping in 7.0 solution and 4.0 solution. Adjustments are made by two screws. This was done when I received it a few weeks ago.
    65 gallon reef tank
    33 gallon sump

liv
    try to check it again, in case its off a bit.
    the first calibration is ok, but it usually needs to be done a little while after once the probe settles in. it could be off by a little. like +.2

Get the 7 and 10 calibration fluid and recalibrate it. 4 and 7 is best for freshwater systems. I can't imagine your ph is truly that high by how you're describing your setup.
    You're not adding buffer by any chance?

Out of my own experience with my ph probe. I had no problem calibrating mine, it was accurate for the first 3 weeks, then it started slowly going up in ph. I had to recalibrate it again... But it seems to have now settled and stays accurate as of the past 14 months.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

i agree, 7 and 10 are the proper calibration points for SW, checking current readings of the solutions will tell you if the probe is off, then recalibrate if needed. make sure the probe is clean, as stuff build up you will get false readings.

your Mg is low. Ca, Alk,Mg and pH are all closely related and if one is out of line the others will appear to be too. you could supplement Mg or adjust your salt mix ratio to add more oceanic. IO has a super high Alk ( directly effects pH ) while the oceanic has a high Ca and Mg, a ratio of 50 / 50 would likely give better results

have you tried the probe in a batch on new SW??

another option would be to just use one salt but boost the inadequate levels before use.

IMO, i would stop using those kent products. they're mostly just water and these components of SW can be easily / better maintained by doing regular water changes.

i would start with cleaning and checking the calibration of the probe, as well as bringing your Mg into the proper levels ( 1250 -1350 ), then you can move forward from there.

good luck and let us know how things work out :b16:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast