Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RO Booster pump failed :(

I don't know if its related to the zero waste water issue I'm having, but I turned on the RO unit last night to make water for today and woke up in the middle of the night to see if the bin was near full (don't have a float valves installed but I have them). The pressure was only 20 and the booster pump wasn't boosting. It sounded like it was on but doing nothing. I closed the flow valves on the RO unit and the pressure didn't go up so I suspect its toast.

This just sucks. Do any of you get your booster pump locally? I got mine of ebay - an aquatech 8800 or something like that.

Thanks!

I love my pump. It's an LS-8100 that I got off ebay. You really can't even hear it when it's running. The good news is that most of these pumps can be purchased without the ac/dc adaptor (which easily jacks the price up by $25-40). I'd check what your voltages should be for your adaptor, test them with a voltage meter to make sure the juice is trying to get to your pump first. If not, the pump might be fine and the adaptor might be toast.
    By the way you say it sounds like it's trying to run, it's more likely the pump. Get your voltage and amperage specs off your adaptor and match it with another pump to save some money. You should easily get one under $100.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Your pump is an expensive one. I found this one on ebay in ontario for very cheap (no brokerage and long shipping delays). I don't think you'll get a better deal, and it looks the same as mine.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Reverse-Osmosis-R...d=p3286.c0.m14

One more thing, Is your pre-filter before the pump good and clean and changed every 4-6 months? and is your main valve fully open? If the pump was struggling to get adequate water, this would definately cause it to fail.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    So do you only turn on the booster pump when you run the RO unit?
    Hours:
    Saturdays: 10am - 6pm
    Sundays: 10am - 12pm "Salty Sundays"
    Sundays: 12pm - 6pm

Contact us at:
    613-884-SALT
    613-884-7258

Yes. The booster pump is unplugged when the RO unit is not running. Once my RO water bins are filled (65ish gallon blue barrel and a 55G spare aquarium) I unplug the booster pump and close off both flow restrictors. If I don't close of the flow restrictors water continues to flow through the RO unit. Since I'm on a well and wasting a ton of water I don't want my well pump and sump pump etc also working over time.

The water connection is inline - not from the tap. Water is fully on. When we have to turn off the water - like when we just installed a new high efficiency washer and drier we did so via the incoming water line in the house- not where the RO unit is attached. Does this make sense? I don't know the correct terms to use.

I hope I'm doing everything correctly. Its worked absolutely amazing for seven months. I expected with it being a well and less pressure than city systems that it would have failed before now.

When you're done using your ro water and unplug the booster pump, the only other valve that should need to be turned off is a valve at the end where you're getting your ro/di water from... which from your pictures, you should have a valve installed along that blue 1/4" tube coming off your DI that strings across your picture and goes out of view.... having a valve here will properly allow your system to pressurize itself and turn it's automatic shut off valve off where needed.

Thank you!

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    Once you have a working booster pump, you can get a switch that will turn off your booster pump when the RO is shut off too.

They are pretty cheap too, about $20.
    Hours:

Contact us at:
    613-884-SALT
    613-884-7258

I have the switch - I bought it along with the RO Booster. I feel stupid now. I thought I had to have the float valve installed on the RO bins first (I never got around to drilling a hole in the bins to do this). I just now realized after your post that this wouldn't be required.

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    lol, well its an easy mistake.

Why do you run 2 ball valves to manually shut off your good water and waste water seperately?
    Why not just use one bal valve on the input?
    Hours:

Contact us at:
    613-884-SALT
    613-884-7258

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast