Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Alkalinity Question

For some reason my Alkalinity levels have been slowly rising and I can't figure it out. I started out with an Alkalinity of 8.8 when I first cycled the tank 2 months ago. I did a 20% water change about a month ago and that's all I did.
    Any one have any ideas? Is there a way to safely lower the Alkalinity or should I just wait until I do another water change in 2 weeks?

Current Water Parameters:
    Alkalinity - 10.6
    PH -8.20
    SG 1.025
    Calcium - 440
    Magnesium - 1350
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 0

liv
    You should be more worried about keeping it stable
    if its stable at 10.6 your happy.. the fluxuations is that stressed animals.

BTW: those specs are amazing.. keep it up !

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

liv,

Thanks for the quick reply. So I shouldn't worry then? This tank has been so stable since it was put back up after it was dismantled and put aside for over 3 months. I had kept all my LR cycling with my old water since with 2 powerheads, a heater and feeding the rock once a week in a 55 gallon tub. I just used about 10 gallons of the old water, used new RODI water for the other 190 gallons and new sand and my old LR.

On another note, I saw that you were selling 2 of your Coralvue 400 watt ballasts. I currently have a Weipro 3 x 250W DE MH fixture with a strip of 100 Blue LEDs on each side which I use as my Actinics. I was thinking of changing the ballasts and the bulbs to 400W. Is this doable or is there wiring modification inside the fixture involved? Are these Coralvue ballasts just like the Icecapps that are just warm to the touch or do they run really hot?

liv
    for your alk.. as long as its stable at that range your fine.
    for your mh's all depends if your fixtures were designed to run 400w's
    your wiring should be fine.. its more to do with if the fixtures can handle the heat of the 400's.

my ballasts are cold to the touch even when running. probebly just a few deg of ambiant. they are electronic ones.. so barely any heat, super quiet and save on hydro compared to the regular tar/coil setups.

as liv said, stability is more important than a point or two either way. for a Ca level of 440 the truly balanced alkalinity ( not that we even try to balance them ) would be 11, so actually you're pretty darn good.

what salt are you using??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv,

My fixture has a small enclosure for the actual MH bulb and it has a glass cover so I am thinking the glass might rupture from the heat. Here is the page for the fixture. http://en.weipro.com/newEbiz1/EbizPo...shParent=false

Instead of the T5s on the side, it has a double bank of Blue LEDs every 2" on each side running the full length of the fixture. It is the model LMB-180. What do you think? Why I want to change the ballasts is because they run so hot and the fixture does not have a UL Listing so for safety's sake I have to change it. I bought it because of the great coloration from the LEDs. Well, lesson learned and this is definitely the last Made in China crap I buy irregardless of the price.

a4twenty,
    Thanks. I feel a lot better now. I am using D-D H2Ocean Pro +. I supplemented with Magnexxion until it reached 1350 and then I let the Calcium Reactor take over and it has been steady since.

liv
    for the lighting fixtures.. I wouldn't push them more then they already are.
    enclosed 400w's. it could get insanely hot if not properly cooled with fans.
    I personnaly would replace the entire fixture and keep those led strips. ( if you really really want 400's )
    my 2cents

liv

Thanks for the great advice. I kinda had the feeling that was going to be your answer. I'll just replace them with 250 Watt Icecap ballasts. The best price I came up with was $150.00 per.

liv
    ya.. thats about right
    good luck, post some pics

For about 4 months, I have had Alkalinity stable between 10.6 to 11.0. I fine tuned my Calc Reactor and for the last month or so I had dropped it to around 9.2 to 9.6. I went for a weeks holiday last Saturday and after returning I checked and today my params are:

Nitrate: between 2 -5
    Nitrite: 0
    Ammonia: 0
    SG: 1.26
    PH: 8.2
    Temp: 78
    Calcium: 450
    Magnesium: 1380
    Alkalinity: 8.0

Can you think of any reason why my Alkalinity dropped to 8.0? Should I be worried? What is the ideal Alkalinity level to run? Some people tell me between 7-9 and some say 9-11.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast