Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KH (carbonate hardness)

from what i understand carbonate hardness effects PH and also effects CA calcium?! and if one is off it will throw the whole thing off. correct me if I'm wrong.
    i have a 4 month old 65 gal. tank, with currently only two cromis, couple leather, polyips and zoos, ~40lbs of live rock, .024 ~ for my salinity, PH tested a bit low yesterday, looked much better today 8.2, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite.

so now im wondering really How do i use this test that i bought for KH i know it can range ~9.9 to ~12.8 safely. the test i have is the "mars fishcare north america" pretty common, cheap test (the drops and the test tubes). So it changes color when i add certain number of drops i get that. now i just need to know what the colors mean haha!
    also i know that KH= alkalinite right?!

anyways if anyone has any experience with this test kit or knows anything about carbonate hardness, i just bought the test kit may as well use it

thanks so much
    Todd

you're right but just to add a little more confusion to the situation, you can also add magnesium to the list. Mg, Ca, ALK all work together and affect the pH of the tank ( directly the ALK but it needs the other two to balance. )

a dKH of 7 - 11 is the target we're shooting for with a Ca of 380ppm to 450ppm and a Mg of 1250ppm - 1350ppm. if you maintain theses parameters in spec., your pH will follow, mine hasn't moved in many years.

when you tested the pH and there was a difference, what time of day were the tests?

the pH can drop slightly at night ( light out ) due to the lack of photosynthesis, which allows the CO2 levels to rise. during the day CO2 levels drop and pH rises again, this is why people will run their refugium on a reverse schedule to the tank lights.

what is your pH, ALK currently??

how do test pH ?

are you planning on getting into stoney corals?? ( LPS /SPS )

HTH
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Unhappy

OK.... lol so all those 3 things effect PH. i test my tank with the drops very standard test kits. PH is currently at 8.2 and as for my alk?! no idea, i dont have that test for that http://aquariacanada.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif
    as for keeping hard/stoney corals, probably a whole varety of corals, not only hard big mix a real meaty reef http://aquariacanada.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

thanks for the help
    Todd

OK.... lol so all those 3 things effect PH. i test my tank with the drops very standard test kits. PH is currently at 8.2 and as for my alk?! no idea, i dont have that test for that
    as for keeping hard/stoney corals, probably a whole varety of corals, not only hard big mix a real meaty reef
    thanks for the help
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    . as for my alk?! no idea, i don't have that test for that
    as for keeping hard/stoney corals, probably a whole variety of corals, not only hard big mix a real meaty reef
    thanks for the help
    Todd

KH ( really dKH, for degrees of... ) is a unit for expressing the carbonate hardness of your water. carbonate hardness is sometimes referred to as carbonate alkalinity or in the SW hobby simply alkalinity ( Alk ).

with the corals you currently have these parameters can usually be kept in spec. by doing regular water changes. some salts are better at supplying these elements but with a low demand situation like yours, you should be fine.

if your intention is to move towards stoney corals, clams, etc..... i would recommend getting an Alk ( i think you have, KH = Alk ), Ca and Mg test kit to start testing and adjusting the levels in your tank.

the test i have is the "mars fishcare north america" pretty common, cheap test (the drops and the test tubes). So it changes color when i add certain number of drops i get that. now i just need to know what the colors mean haha!
    does the test kit not come with a colour comparison chart?? if not there will be a multiplier ( number of drops times the multiplier ) you use to calculate the KH in either dKH or ppm or meq/L, depending on the test kit.

for a saltwater reef we are looking for an Alk of

2.5 - 4 meq/L or
    7 - 11 dKH or
    125 -200 ppm

what result do you get with the KH test kit you have??

HTH
    `

My Gallery

This is one of my favourite articles:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

does the test kit not come with a colour comparison chart?? if not there will be a multiplier ( number of drops times the multiplier ) you use to calculate the KH in either dKH or ppm or meq/L, depending on the test kit.

for a saltwater reef we are looking for an Alk of

2.5 - 4 meq/L or
    7 - 11 dKH or
    125 -200 ppm

what result do you get with the KH test kit you have??

= ok so iv been trying to test my tank every day i missed yesterday, (just didnt have the time really.
    so far my stats are
    PH- 8.2
    ammonia-0
    nitrate -0
    nitrite - 0

dKH - 12, = ppm GH/KH 214.8
    (this is the results the test kit gave me and what matched up with the chart)
    i figured the Alk - ~4.34

Ca- (i have the test kit, cant for the life of me remember where i put the chart, useful i know. the test turned blue after 24 drops.)

also i just finished a run of tests right now everything was the exact info i gave, but my ammonia was at ~0.25 ppm?! i dont know whats up with that, maybe because the lights were off? it's night when i did the tests.

also i read that article very useful, i printed the whole thing out for future reference thanks so much

so far my stats are
    PH- 8.2
    ammonia-0
    nitrate -0
    nitrite - 0

dKH - 12, = ppm GH/KH 214.8
    (this is the results the test kit gave me and what matched up with the chart)
    i figured the Alk - ~4.34
    GH ( general hardness ) is not looked at in SW, make sure you're only testing the KH. an Alk of 12 ( dKH ) is a little high but definitely not the end of the world. what salt are you using and do you dose anything??
    `

My Gallery

Ok so the chart I have here has both measures anyways. I'm useibg instant oscean salt doing water change 1-2 X per week, I'm not dosing with n e thing not sure what that means really.
    65 Gallon, reef 50lbs LR, LED Lights 120W (i think), current 1 chromis, 2 Black clown fish, 1 yellow tang, 1 cobberband butterfly, lots of snails 1 emerald crabs, 10 hermits,1 cleaner shrimp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast