Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beginer needs help New BioCube 29

I just aquired a BioCube 29 last week. Got it filled with water, added salt to 1.022 set the temperature to 76-77F. I took the bioballs out and inserted a CPR SR3 Skimmer in the second chamber. I've also replace the default pump with a Maxijet 1200, added a Koralia Nano 425 and a Hydor FLO Rotating H2O Deflector Attachment. Now what are the next steps ? I was also told to remove the sponge in chamber #3 and to get ride of the filter media !

Please advise.

Thanks

Have you decided on your long term goals of your tank? Are you looking to have a fish only tank or do you plan on putting corals in?

Also, have you purchased a water test kit yet? Make sure you have this on hand before you think of putting anything living in the tank. You'll probably want to start with the master test kit which tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high range PH and Carbonate hardness. That should do you for now, until you get into keeping corals. In that case, calcium and other things will need to be tested but you need not worry about that for now.

The next added step that I would reccommend would be to purchase some live rock and substrate such as aragonite. This way, the tank can begin to cycle. Most people recommend 1-2 lbs per gallon. Cured rock is more expensive but better suited for a beginner especially since your tank is not of an enormous size. This way you can plop it in your tank and not have to worry about curing it in a tub for weeks before you can use it. Make sure to position your rock in the tank BEFORE you add substrate. This way the rock has a solid foundation and cannot be tipped over by creatures or give space for detrius to accumulate underneath.

After the live rock and substrate are added, you will notice that the ammonia will spike as well as the nitrite. This is normal. It is also okay. This is the beginning of the nitrifying cycle or what some people refer to as "cycling." You need this to happen so that the nitrifying bacteria can accumulate to be able to turn the harmful nitrite into not so harmful nitrate. This is why I recommend to put these things in before any fish or invertebrates. After your tank has cycled, you can think about adding to your tank.

I highly recommend purchasing a saltwater aquarium book to answer many of your questions. My favorite is "The new marine aquarium- step by step setup and stocking guide" by Michael S. Paletta. I urge you to read this front to back, and i guarantee you'll feel alot more confident. I don't know where I'd be without this book.

Hope this helps!:b16:

The beginer thanks day 2

Thanks for the advice.

I already had 45 pound of arragonite put in it when I first posted my question.
    My goal is to get a Nano Reef with a couple of simple fish. I drove today to Aquavalley and got 30 pound of live rock while they were still on special....man does these thing smell bad !!!

I was told to wait 2 weeks and do a 20% water change and a week later test it for the basic stuff !

Now the testing kit what brand do you recommend ?

Yeah the live rock smells awful! Our living room smelled like it for days after (I just bought another 11 lbs a few weeks ago to finish my aquascape).

Theres 2 options for test kits. The one I find most accurate is made by "Salifert" although I'm not sure if they would have all the tests you need. They are also very expensive (my nitrate test ran me $30) and thats just for one kit. "API" has another option in which all the tests you need for a beginner come together in a kit. It includes High Range PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate along with all the instructions and test vials etc. I'm pretty sure you will save a pocketfull if you go this route.

Skimmer

Should I had the skimmer now or wait for the cycle to complete ? I will receive the skimmer tomorrow and not sure if I should start it right away

liv
    welcome to AC to both of you :b2:

you can.. but it may slow down the cycle..and not much to skim anyway.
    it will also remove some of the good stuff from the LR.
    if you want more coraline faster, dont run your skimmer for now and try and scrape some of the coraline off the LR with a credit card or other hard plastic surface.. the spores will be released in your tank and without the skimmer wont be removed as fast.. allowing them to roam and attach.

Cheers!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Biocube 29 new tank

Great news, I've received my Skimmer and the Refrectometer. The Skimmer was connected to the system but have not started the pump....decided to wait 3-4 weeks in order to cycle properly. I've calibrated the Refrectometer and mesure salinity at 1.0265 is that to HIGH ? Interesting stuff is going ON !!! live rocks are there since Thursday the 21st (5 days) it does not smell that bad anymore and I see some small gaz bubble forming on the LR....guessing that this is ok ? I've order at test kit from Seachem and will test Amonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, PH once I get it......now what should I do next ? I was told to change my water (20%) in 2 weeks...is that OK ?

Awesome! It sounds like things are going smoothly so far! You could do a water change in the 2 weeks as stated but I would only change no more than maybe 5%? You don't want to add too much new water while the tank is still cycling, especially because you don't have anything living in the tank so far. I would wait to get your water tests and find out whats going on in it before changing any water. If the ammonia is high, or the nitrites, you could probably change more than 5% in your water change. I'd wait and see what they say first.
    And no, your salinity is not too high, but I wouldn't go higher. Maybe for now I'd try and bring it down to around 1.024 during your water change. Also, what is the temperature of your tank?

Water Temp

Water is currently at 25c that is around 77f. Seems right to me no ? I'll get the salinity to drop a little, i still have to add a little water. For the water change I tought this had to be done after the cycle is completed....any reason for the 2 weeks after the LR were introduce ?

liv
    is there water in that skimmer ?if so; either run it or remove it. that water will go stale in no time.. and when you start it in 6 weeks it will be a bomb on your tank. and will smell horrible.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast