Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st thread & question

I just thought I'd get this ball rolling...
    What's the difference between Kold Sterile and RO/DI? Is one better than the other?

Kold sterile is Poly BIO Marine's trade mark for purified but not demineralised water- They simply put water through their Poly Filter pads which are very good at removing badies like iron, lead, some phosphate, ammonia, copper etc and probably a few goodies like iodine, but it leaves all of the beneficial minerals like calcium strontium as well as any hardness that is naturally in the water.
    It is a resin based product so it can be formulated to remove pretty much whatever the company wants.
    I like Poly filter- its a good product
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

This is also a filter that goes on the tank to filter the tanks water as compared to a NEW water supply filter like the RO/DI system ... Is this correct?
    Rob

Sorry, it is a tap water purifier, like an R.o. unit. But they do sell Poly Filter pads that you can run in a cannister filter.
    The Kold Steril system uses more absorbant pads than the Poly Filter pads, I think.
    Matt.

OK I was under the impression that it was a tank filter due to the number of chemicals etc it will remove. If it claims to not remove salt and other minerals .. Could it be used on the tank if water from the tank were delivered to the unit under the correct pressure.
    Rob

Rob,
    Technically I would say yes. (By the way, I knew all about Kold Sterile already..., was just asking for others to see as a good alternative to RO units).
    ReefMutt,
    What other "good" advantages does it have? ( hint: waste water).

Ahhhh Reefmutt,

Like I say.... if you've just heard about it, chances are he's already read about it.....hyeah:

Rob, the pads used in the Cold Steril are in fact stronger versions of the product Poly Filter. Poly Bio Marine invented their Kold Steril system and the Poly Filter pads as an alternative to R.O. because, as Mr. Know it all pointed out, it does not produce any waste water- it simply purifies all of the water that passes through it. This would be great for people who pay for water consumption.
    It is simply a cannister like the prefilter cannisters on an R.O. unit filled with extra absorbant Poly Filter pads. It hooks up to the cold water source, like an R.O. unit.
    You can buy the Poly Filter pads seperately ans they can be used in any type of cannister filter running any system. They come in a 4x8 sheet of resin impregnated material which can be cut and/or bent onto a shape and put in a filter. The stuff isn't cheap but it works nicely- I use it often in clients tanks-both fresh and salt/reef.
    Another thing about it is that it turns different colours depending on what it is removing: brown=iron, blue=copper, green=ammonia............Did I forget anything Touchy?
    Matt.

liv
    were can we get this stuff ?
    can it be cleaned and re-used ?
    how long does it last ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Originally posted by reefmutt
    Did I forget anything Touchy?
    Yeah...., YO MAMA!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast