Thread: Alk

Alk

I had my xenia crash and I mean hard for the first time ever.
    laid right down and is probaly a gonner. I checked my parms and this is what I found. CAL,350. PH, 8.6 ALK,measured with my color REDSEA kit was in the yellow rang which probaly translates to around 4 dkh! I started adding some SEACHEM REEFBUILDER. this tank is my holding tank with no skimmer and around 5 weeks old. I did a water change and used REDSEA [all I could get in a pinch] salt mix. do you think the xenia crash is a direct reflection of the ALK drop?

I'd like to see what ReefMutt says about this, but IMO, I would say that the low Alk had SOMETHING to do with it perhaps. Especially that low. NSW is 7 DKH so 4 is very low!!!
    Is it Xenia that you got from me? I'm curious because about 1 or 2 weeks ago, I too lost my main colony and so did reefMutt. His was a frag from my mother colony. I've rerad in the past where frags and the mother colony will crash around the same time even though they're in complete different systems. I never believed it before because it would insinuate some type of communication telekinetically but it's weird this happening all around the same time!!!:

HOLY SHIT YES! it is the one from you! now that is weird!!!!!!!
    everything else in my tank is just fine. I would have thought my HAMMER or BUBBLE would have told me so if something was wrong. maybe my kit is old and off.now I'm freaked.

ijo
    I was thinking the same... thats spooky... something you could turn into a camp fire story... hehehe

Well, as I said, I've often read how pieces from the same colony will suddenly all crash about the same time and it isn't uncommon when they are even as far apart as different cities!!! ( thriller soundtrack playing in background....)

AAAAAEEEEEHHHHHH!!!!!!..........
    I started dosing Iodine and within a week a the Xenia was melting like a Jason on fire!!
    I could very well have been the dkh problem- I do like the celestial convergance theory though...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Johnny,

Maybe the change from your normal IO salt to RedSea salt didn't help matters either.

Reefbuilder's great though, It will increase your ALK without affecting your pH. Mr. Mutt recommended it to me when I had my ALK problem, and it saved my ass.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Originally posted by tang_man_montreal
    and it saved my ass.
    What little there is of that skinny li'l white thang!!!:

Touchy, have you been eyeing Vince again??? I might have to start calling you feely!!!!!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high