Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

NItrate levels in a Reef Tank

Roll over from other posting......same one...

Q1)
    Just got a nitrate test kit from AC, and tested my water to approx 1ppm. Did a water change (5-7%) and re-tested at 0.5ish ppm. Also did some reading on this to see what the sought after levels in a typical reef tank would be. There was some variance, but the general consensus seems to be either less than 1ppm (RHF on RC) or simply undetectable.

WHat I found interesting are thoughts that suggest that some corals may seem to do better with some nitrates present, dont recall exactly where I read this.

Anyway, I would like to hear from some reefers on where they keep there levels, and what nitrate reduction method they feel works best for them, i.e. skimming, NNR, chems, etc.

POssibly a poll somewhere in here....

Rolling over from the other thread:

Personally i use Macro Algae to soak up my nutrients as well as live rock and a DSB to reduce Nitrate. it is usually around 1ppm when i test for it, but i dont think it has a negative effect on anything
    Albert
    My Photos

This was Vjvl51's post on the other thread: (now we have everything here where we left off)

Abhan, I try to keep my nitrates as low as possible. I have also read that some corals as well as clams prefer some nitrates in the water. I look at nitrates in the same way as phosphates. You can have 0 phosphates and algae because the algae is using the phosphates before you test for it. What I see in my testing for nitrates is the excesss that my present bio-load does not require. If the nitrates start to climb like when the phosphates start to climb, to me, it is a sign that a water change is needed with a clean up of debris.

Vickie
    Albert
    My Photos

The first couple years I kept my nitrates at about 1.5 or below. Lately I've been letting them go up to about 7 and have found that not only are the clams happier but the whole tank. I don't have any problem algae either. I really think it helps to have some nitrates.
    Susan

Thats amazing Suzan. Thanks for the feedback. I'm not surprized that the clams like it, but why not the ALGAE!!!!

NOT FAIR

It's a mature tank, when it was younger I had algae problems like everyone else, even though the nitrates were lower then.
    Susan

Phosphates are the REAL food for micro algea- I have to admit that Iv'e never tested for no3 in my current reef- of one year- I use a dsb, plenum and macro algea to help control them- even though Iv'e never tested........maybe I'll do a test and get back to ya!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

To add to the above posting - my nitrates normally run about 0.2. I haven't tested for nitrates in a few weels (that same time that I stopped testing for ammonia and nitrites) as everything has been steady for months. I had stopped worrying about nitrates not being 0 since reading that many corals and clams use nitrates as food and was mainly looking for a change in the amount of nitrates. I would assume, like any food, excess is not good and would do a water change if the nitrates had showed a sharp increae. I've never had nitrates as high as Susan (that I know of) which could be a result of the water changes to lower the phosphates.

I agree with Reefmutt - phosphates is the real problem area. Since I feed phyto daily, I'm hoping that eventually I will have enough macro algae/mangroves to keep the phosphates low enough for the corals.

Vickie

Ah finally the ReefMutterator speaks!

Thing is, I've checked Phosphates a few times and found all readings to be zero. Perhaps phosphates are more present following a feeding? OOPS, better start another Phophates Thread!

your phosphates could also be testing at 0 because it is already locked up in your algae or even live rock/sand. if you have no algae problems, then you may not have a phosphate problem.
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast