Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    liv

big ph fluxuation...

I did'nt look at the ph for about 1 or 2 week..
    the next time i checked it.. i was at ~7.1

its now back to being stable ~8.1 this morning.

2 events happened around the same time..
    - lost power for several hours,
    - temp cranked for 85f for ~2 days.

i lost all my sps!!!
    even the nice blue frags from johnny's and
    all the pink pocilapora's..
    :bawling:

this happened ~2 weeks ago..
    the rest seems fine now.. but what could have caused this?

alk is pretty high all the time ~12
    ph usually 8.1
    salinity .025
    no detectable amonia, nitrates or phosphates.
    no equipment change
    calcium 450.
    water changes every 2 weeks 10g.

i'm thinking.. something died ?? but can't find what it is..
    cucumber ? i also noticed a big bloom of aptesia...
    could the aptesia cause this ?
    could the reading be wrong on my ph meter.. the batteries died not long after.

Sorry to hear about this. It must have been really heartbreaking.

That's a pretty serious pH swing. I suspect it wasn't reading accurate, especially since you mentioned the batteries were almost gone. Mine reads falsely when the batteries get low.

I've had really bad aiptasia. That wouldn't kill anything unless it's in direct contact with the aiptasia.

Personally I think it was just the heat spike that killed the SPS. What temperature do you normally keep the tank at?
    Susan

liv
    ya.. i figured it could'nt of dropped to 7.1 after.. just does'nt make sence.. so.. i got new batteries

as for the temp.. i started this tank in dec/jan.. so did'nt deal with heat issues yet..

Its definitly a costly mistake I will not make again.
    thanks Flame = )

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

The best thing I did for heat problens was to buy a temperature controller. I bought this one:
    http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....2dc+1086394186

A bit expensive but not when you think about how much money in corals you could lose without one.

I have two big fans right over my sump (as in sitting on the top edges of it). They are plugged into the controller and come on automatically when the temp reaches a certain point and really make a huge difference. It's WAY easier to keep a tank cool than it it to cool it down once it's already too hot.
    Susan

I agree with flame- that must have been bad batteries in the ph meter. And 85 will absolutely stress sps to the point of death--sorry to hear it- that REALLY sucks!!
    If you run mh lighting you could buy a couple of fans - I found good cooling fans (4 inch) from Radio Shack- about $30 and put them on the same timer as the mh so they come on with the lights, you could do this with vho, too of course. Get them over the main tank and the sump- but watch the night time temp if you run them 24/7 because they can really cool.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

liv
    great idea.. i'll put them on the same timer.

Hopefully Reefmutt can comment on this but I think your Alk is a bit too high and the PH should be constant at around 8.3 at least. Alk should be around 11. Also, as everyone else mentioned, a temp swing like that has an enormous potential to knock the begeesus out of a lot of SPS. Last summer, I had an excessively hot dasy at the beginning of summer cause a major crash in my tank. Lost many corals, all my small fish and all my inverts, along with all my pod population. When things like this happen, it throws the whole biofiltering balance out of whack too by killing off lots of what cleans/filters/ maintains the water quality. This dieoff, or the out of whack water chemistry will very well allow algae and all other sorts of stuff like cyano, take a foothold and make your tank spiral downward. It takes a lot of work and patience to slowly get it back into top shape

liv
    ya.. its exactly whats happening at the moment.. i have a rise in cyano. i was almost cleared of it a few weeks ago.. but now.. i have big patches.
    my skimmer is also grabbing alot more then usual.

A higher Alk helps with more efficient skimming. The Alk helps make more bubbles for some reason.

wow, i guess that really shows the importance of temperature on our tanks. i too am worried about how well my new set-up will be with temp b/c i will have MH in my canopy.
    Flame, that product u referred too above seems expensive for a controler with a chiller/heater plug, no? most chiller heaters have their own thermostat and you can get a digital thermometer for like $30, so what would be so special about that one?
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast