Thread: R/O system

R/O system

R/O System
    Well finally got my R/O system all hooked up. I have a Coralife TFC 50. I only have a 60g hex aquarium as of now in this house, but we are looking to buy a newer house this fall or spring so I am holding off on a bigger tank.( I am looking at a 180g for the upgrade). Figured the TFC 50 would serve the 180g once I have it. I used two 22 gallon Rubber Maid containers. The first is the filtered r/o water which I have installed a shut off float at the top to a desired level. Just above that level I have installed an overflow outlet down to the sink drain just incase the shut off float sticks in the open postion for some reason. At the bottom I have two outlets, one so I can decharge r/o water to a container for aquarium top ups, or for personal drinking water. The second outlet goes down to the second container for my mixing. When I fill this second container with r/o water I will powerhead it with air for a day, then add the salt the second day without the air but still powerheading it to mix the saltwater. Then the final step I have a discharge outlet to fill my portable containers to carry them upstairs to the aquarium. I figure the next step when I do this in the newer house I will install a pump at the second container to pump the water directly to the area of the aquarium.
    Let me know from what I have done if anyone sees a problem that I have missed. Thanks.

Sounds like a good system to me... well thought out. I don't think you need to powerhead the r.o. water for a day before adding salt, though.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Just thought of trying to powerhead for a day,,,heard of someone that did that, and they got better results,,,. I'm still new at this so, I'm willing to listen and learn. Hopefully the ones I learn from are correct though....

I can understand letting a powerhead mix the new saltwater for a day, but just running it in r.o. water is pointless.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

running a powerhead for a day with aeration is a good idea, so keep doing that to get the O2 levels up. I use a cheap airpump / airstone and aerate all the time. When it's time to mix up SW, I pull out the airstone and pop in a power head like you, for one day.

Cool,,I'll try it for sure then...