Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rtn??

Rtn??

I think I did too many upgrades this time. I was discouraged that my brand new table acro went brown on me. So I got a little aggessive. I changed out my old Ushio 250s for XM 10Ks to get more PAR. I also went after the phosphates with a phosban reactor.

I started slow with the reactor because people have had RTN problems with these in the past. I used less than 1/2 the media.

Today I noticed the table acro is going white from the base. There are quite a few mucus threads around it. How do I tell if this is RTN or bleaching. If it is RTN do I need to frag it?

I have never had a coral RTN on me, But from my understanding it will happen very quickly. If it is in fact RTN you will have to frag your coral. Go to reefcentral there is lots of good reading about RTN.

When you changed the light bulbs did you raise the fixture, then slowly lower it so your corals could adjust to the new bulbs? Also how soon after did you add the phosban reactor?
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Bill, a half dose of phosban shouldn't stress your corals.
    What K were your ushios and how old were they? Ushio and xm make very similar bulbs if the k ratings are the same- I don't think this would be a huge factor unless you went from very old 20k ushios to 10kxms
    What are your numbers in terms of calc alk ph and temp?
    If it is rtn- which usually starts at the base and works up. When a coral rtns you can usually see bits of flesh falling away from the skeleton and the next bits to go start to look like they have been melted. If this is happening, it's time to frag. When fragging, stay at least 1/2 centimeter away from the rtn area if not more. The bacteria that causes the rtn move up the flesh before it starts to fall off so you have to stay ahead of the nasties. You could give the newly fragged bits an iodine bath as well as a precaution. Fragging a rtning coral is a 50/50 proposition, sometimes it works and sometimes not.
    If it is turning white in a very uniform line and moving slowly- over several days, it could be something else. You may not have to frag it but you have to correct whatever is causing the problem- that's why I ask about the numbers...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

The Ushios were 10Ks about 9 months old. The 10K XMs were noticeably brighter.

Alk is 12
    Calc is 460
    ph 8.3
    temp is up to 82
    Nitrates and Phosphates 0

It could be the temp. I cranked up the fans. Maybe that will help. I guess the XMs put out a little more heat.

It is too late for the table acro. It is rapidly shedding tissue from the base. I don't think I can frag it without some sort of saw. Do I pull it and toss it, or leave it in there and hope it stops?

If it is going fast, it wont stop.
    I hate to see the whole thing go if there are still good tips left.
    Need a hand? I could be over in minutes and we could attempt a fragging...931 2122
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Just fragged it in a hurry. This was a beautiful light green table acro the size of my hand. It went brown in my tank with 250 watts. It needs to have 400 watts. I may just have a bunch of 2" frags up for trade for some of you guys with killer lights and killer flow. We will see what makes it.

Bill,
    Just wanted to add to what Matt has mentioned..., when you have diagnosed that something is actually RTNing, it would be best to try and either frag off the bad stuff as soon as possible or if it's a complete goner, pull it out. This is because it spreads quick from one coral to another and if there are others that happen to be stressed out, chances are they too can catch it. Be proactive when you know it's actual RTN. For what it's worth, I'd like to try a piece of those frags if there are any left when my tank is also ready from my same problems.

After your tragedy, one of these is for you Toutouche. I just hope it stops here.

What is the abbreviation RTN
    PERMISSION : Somthing you need if you want to do it again, not required if you only want to do it once...

Rapid Tissue Necrosis. Very bad thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast