Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

RODI units REALLY?

I know I'll take a beating on this but I'm really interested in knowing if using conditioned tapwater and maybe running it thru a canister filter full of carbon would do the trick? maybe throw in a poly fliter. pump water back and forth between garbage pails for a day or 2. I hate the amount of water I'm using!!!! I'm looking into KOLD STERILE systems that TOUTOUCHE was helping me with info on. I wonder if its the same principle?

Im not a huge environmentalist, but I can't believe how much water those things waste. I don't even pay for water and am torn on getting an RO/DI unit because of the waste. For now im just gonna deal with the algae as it comes.

Johnny - the two digitata's are surprisingly looking great in my tank, very colourful, the xenia might have taken a little beating, but looks like it will recover.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

im thinking of going to treated water only.. i can't stand the waste water ratio..

my tap water only has a TDS count of 137ppm which is not bad..

im thinking of selling the system and going regular tap water conditioned.. i will have 2 buckets.. 1 for pure tap with conditioner and let that airate for couple of days with a bag of Carbon in it.. then have another bucket with the water from bucket one with either a canister filter or powerhead circulating it and auto-topping up my tank..

Ro/Di is good but our tap water isn't that bad and i doubt the ocean with all the run off is prestine..

Does the carbon lower the TDS? and if so how much?
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

no i don't think it does.. but it removes toxins.. also if you use a canister filter and run phosgaurd/carbon they have a life of about 3 days and that alone would cost you a fortune..

You might consider particulate, carbon and DI if the RO is giving you grief.

Most of the things you don't want in your tank is removed by the above and the RO removes the rest. In the case of Chlorine and Cloramine, the RO splits it up and leaves Ammonia, which the DI and Carbon then remove.

After doing some reading, I've been considering going this route ==> 5 micron, 1 micron, carbon, one or two DI, and carbon again. This leads to no waste water and overall very clean water.

It is really only the top up for evap that needs to be REALLY clean. Change water only needs to be clean and free of the bad bits.

If you've ever been to Marinscape, they have some very nice systems and they use straight tap water.

Carbon will remove some chemically active Disolved Solids (TDS) but, won't remove much.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

im really considering abandoning the ro/di.. cause it costed me 380g about to fill 75gal tank.. which is insane..

now don't all jump off the RO/DI thang yet. theres many other things in the water to conder. mainly copper and chloramine. now, if your thinking of bypassing the RO membrane just remember, that will kill your DI resin very very fast.Thats why I'm still searching because DI resin isn't cheap either and what about the affects of all that used resin in the landfill site? copper can kill inverts overtime as well as possible kill your liverock.[still reading up].

is the waste water that comes out of the RO/DI unit twice as bad as the city water comming in? or could i use that in my freshwater tank lol..

you have to think about that question for a second. OF COURSE ITS BAD!! LOL I'm just ragging ya, its not good though.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast