Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    liv

catastrophy... yet again..

around 22:00 last night, noticed a smell from the 2nd floor .. walked around to try to identify the source.. went right to the tank.. many times.. could'nt find it.. searched around..
    taught it might have been the furnace that burnt a cat's hair ball... by ~1am decided to go to sleep.. with one eye open and wait till a smell it again,
    well this morning, the smell came back..
    but i found it..
    my water heater was broken and it was making smoke bubbles in my sump..
    lost my blue linkia starfish, shrooms are not looking good.. fish soo far do not seem affected.
    why the hell did it crack ? i did'nt move anything in the sump !

I'll make a big carbon pouch right now to try and remove some of the toxins in the water.. and starting a big batch of water to make a big water change. hope the rest is ok.

thats sucks!!! what brand of heater? I'd also pick up some poly pads. how come the GFCI didn't trip?

Did you notice what temperature you water was at? If it was on the high side, I'm guessing that the thermostat in your heater was stuck in the "on" position and the excess heat made the glass crack. Did you have your heater on a GFI outlet?

liv
    the heater has no ground.. so the gfci would'nt of jumped anyway. it was a cheapo maxi i think ? from my old system.. possibly about 4 years old..
    how long do they last ?

good idea Johnny, i'll put some poly pads right now..
    I wonder if Ivan would have any heaters for me. some ebo jager l... i'll pickup 2x 250w
    I made a bag of charcoal already.. running it now.

man I'm disapointed that I did'nt see it last night.. ARR..
    also the fact that I was running only 1 is probebly not the smartest thing to do also..
    my water was @ 82F. usually i leave it ~80F.

hope the rest survives.. I can't wait to have my next tank in the basement.. I will have alot more room and will be able to identify issues alot more quickly..

ahh.. just the taught of losing my fishies.. I dont want to think about it..
    the specs of the water seem fine. I dont have any blooms of anything yet..
    why is my star the first one to go ? You think i might have contaminated the water with metals ? the heater had a steel element that was exposed in the water.

NOT a happy moment..

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ijo
    I'm always afraid this will happen in one of our setups... I plan to run heaters on a controller... (heater will be set to 81 and controller 79). Hope things turn around for you soon liv... you've had some bad luck lately.

IJO

liv
    Ivan has some heaters.. will be picking some up today.
    thx for the quick responce all..

I never tought it could have been the heater, now I know what a dead heater smells like.

bad luck.. ya.. i know all about it:
    this month:

dead car engine.... sold it
    dead truck battery, got another one.
    dead laptop HD, lost some stuff.. but I did have a backup.
    dead G3 HD.. lost everything.
    dead tank heater, lost linkia so far,
    destroyed laneway.. just paved it last july, city decided to run some wiring..
    broken bank account.. ( getting married )

could i just wakeup next month

liv
    I was just looking at the heater.. and it seems like the relay portion of the heater did not shatter and it was sealed from the water.. which would explain i guess why i was not zapped earlier this am. so all that went into the water is the steel coil and that ceramic tube i guess.

wow liv sorry to hear about the bad luck hopefully what you've lost till now will be the extent of it.
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

liv
    thx, so far only seems to be the linkia, the sandsifting star seems ok.. it dug itself a crater this am. but its moving.
    fish all seem happy.. i did see my ph drop possibly due to the heat or chemicals in the water ?

Heu liv! Sorry to hear about your mishaps. I had a new heater break once, but it hapened while I was looking at the tank. I happened to see smoke like substance comming from the bottom and I pulled it out right away. No losses, thank god! I hope you don't lose anything else.
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast