Thread: Cyano Question

Cyano Question

Hi folks - I'm just curious if Cyano can burn itself out if left alone -similiar to hair algae. I would rather not disturb it from my Live Rock or add any chemicals like Poly-ox. I do use RO/DI water and have a good sized skimmer (Aqua C Remora Pro) for my 55gallon tank. If I do nothing will it eventually die off? My only theory on why I have it is overfeeding. I will cut back my feeding but don't really want to distrub the rockwork. Thoughts?

IMO I think it will run it's course. May take a while but it should eventually go away. However you should find what is causing the problem, food, bad RO water etc..., Or is it a new setup?

The set up is two years old and I 've had the cyano for awhile. I didn't replace my ro and di filters regular enough so I was adding some water with higher ppm than you'd want. I'm sure that plus the feeding are what caused it. But I tried siphoning and scrubbing the rocks before and its a pain in the ---! In the end I may have spread it more. I don't want to do that again if it will go away on its own in time.

Increase your flow and it should help to get rid of it.

Also, if you were slow in replacing the prefilters on your ro. it is possible that some chlorine or iron or something made it through to the membrane- maybe it has been damaged and is now letting some crappola through.
    Cyano is a tough one to get rid of. It has been hypothosized that the stuff actually starts developing its own little self sustaining ecosystem once established. If you dont want to use the poly ox, then I think it is a good idea to continue with the manual removal to keep it destabalised.
    I also agree with reducing the food and more flow.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Well I changed all my filters on my RO/DI unit. I also did a 20% water change. I scrubbed the rocks that were the worse. I cut back feedings to every other day and now don't use any flake food. The tank looks much better. I didn't increase the flow because I don't think that is an issue. In my 55 gal I have 2 maxi jet 1200's and 1 JBJ SP 2500. This plus the output from my Aqua C Remora Pro - causes quite a bit of current in the tank. I hope the cyano stays away once and for all. FYI - I also do a 10% water change weekly - religously.