Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Water Parameters

Good evening all.

I am presently at the point of being this close ->...<- to finally move my fishesinto the main tank, but I am stumped (?) with water parameters....

My tank is 125 gal. with another 46 gal. contained in my filtering system. Two weeks in a row, I did a 30 gal. water change and I am still not happy with what I see. The nitrate only went down to 15 and the PH stays at 7.8. Here are the current water parameters that I just finished gathering:

Salinity= 1.024
    Phosphate= 0
    Ph= 7.8
    Ammonia= 0
    Nitrite= 0
    Nitrate= 15 (Colour is between 15 and 20)
    Water temp.= 80 F.

Oh! Saturday I also added the required amount of Sachem Liquid Marine Buffer. It still did not make a difference.

So, I come to you, masters and gods of marine aquaria for ideas and clues on how to solve my problem.

Thanks in advance for your time!!

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

not sure why your nitrates are high but u should use kalkwasser to raise ph instead of buffer. did u test the water u use before adding it? is it rodi? are u skimming? i think some macro algea will use the nitrates too
    my nitrate was about 10-15 when i started adding some livestock, no casualities. the system started to balance itself out in due time, took about another month or so to reach 0.
    Vu

I have a RO/DI unit that I purchased from Ivan and I did test it on the week-end. Input 150 + ppm, output is 0 ppm. There is skimmer running, it was skimming like crazy while and after the LR (135 lbs) was curing but now the water is crystal clear and there is barely anything being skimmed from the tank. No livestock yet. There is also 200 lbs of sand in there.

I guess I will have to do some reading on kalkwasser to educate myself some more.... again!! :banghead:

Thanks for the input.

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

I would suggest you continue to do water changes. Sounds like you just cured a bunch of rock in the tank and doing that likely led to this high nitrate content. If you can't correct it soon you will likely see a BIGGER UGLIER slime or hair algae issue when it arrives.

Hi OSD. That's the plan for the nitrate, I do a partial water change, wait a while and do another one. My aim is to bring it down to 10 or less if possible. What is really annoying me is the low PH and I thought the Sachem buffer would bring it up, but no dice here.

Thanks for your input.

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Because of the dilution effect you will be far better off to do a few big water changes. Just make sure the water going in is the same as the water coming out. Add the new water for the bigger changes somewhat slower then you might if you were do small changes. Larger volumes of NEW water will help wit hthe PH as well.
    Rob

Thanks. I will continue on the water changes until the nitrate is where I would like it to be. I can only do a 30 gal. water change at a time, so it will take a few passes before things get settled.

Thanks.

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

A good way to get rid of the nitrates is to introduce some macro algae. I know your tank is still "curing" but it can't hurt

liv
    StephG is absolutly right,
    I like pagetti macro
    I has been very benificial for me in many ways,
    It provides a home to all sorts of creatures like pods, worms and some nocturnal snails. Its also an active nutrient export.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Umm... actually, the cycling is over. I just need to reduce the nitrate to less than 10 and get the PH higher. Getting some marine plants was also in my plans.... Sometime in the future. I think I have read somewhere that some plants will help reduce the amount of excess food in the tank.

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast