Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Cloudy Water Question

I am just starting to cycle a new tank. I am using a half sand, half aragonite substrate, and both are calcium based. It has been in the tank for about 2 days now and it seems to have gotten a little clearer, but not near as clear as it should be. Any time I move something the slightest bit it stirs it up again. This is my first tank with a calcium based substrate so I am wondering if this is normal, and if it will eventually settle down. Is there something I can do to help the process along? I decided to add the salt today, hoping maybe that will help with the stuff not to float as much or something.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Did you rinse your sand well before adding it to the tamk? If not you will see more clouding of the water. You can filter a lot of that stuff out in any case.
    Rob

I didn't only because my LPS told me rinsing it, could risk losing the good things in the calcium based substrates. I have my filter running right now, and my protein skimmer.

So you are saying eventually it should get better?

It will improve in time. Rinsing should have been a MUST. You were given poor advise.
    Rob

Fine argaronite sands need to pick up bacteria to settle down. I piece of two of live rock will help if you don't have any in there. The good news is that the fine particles mean you will not need too deep of a bed to get denitrification.

Maybe I will add some Cycle mix to the tank. It is supposed to add beneficial bacteria and that could help..

Also is it ok to add live rock when my all my levels are not quite right yet, and while I am still cycling?

Adding live cured or uncured rock will more then likely recycle the tank at this point. If you intend to add uncured rock and cure it this is the time to add it and cure it right in the tank. If you intend to add cured rock wait until the current cycle is over. Once added keep an eye on water parameters and take corrective action as / if necessary.
    Rob

I think you would be better off to get the cycling of you tank started by the more traditional methods than adding the Hagen product,"Cycle". That product requires you to keep adding it to your water for an indefinate period of time. As Bvoss and One Salty Dog suggested, add some live rock to your tank and just sit back and wait for a couple of weeks. A raw piece of shrimp will also do the trick if the rock is not an option.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Anything with bacteria will work. The stuff will clump right up and settle down. You'll be fine a few days.

Bill

OSD,

I never heard that rinsing is a must.. i heard the opposite.. you want all the different size particles so the sand has more area...

also adding cured rock to an established tank won't cause a cycle...

hope that helps..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast