nutrifin test kits good?

are the nutrifin kits any good?

my ammonia shows light green (0.5 I BELIEVE) and my fish store tested it and said ammonia,nitrite and nitrates are good.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Gerry,
    I can't comment on nutrifin test kits as I've never used them before. Make sure it is a saltwater test and not freshwater.

From what I've seen, most test kits are comparable when testing ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It is only when testing alkalinity, calcium, and more advanced parameters that you need higher quality tests, from my experience.

As to your ammonia reading, that goes inline with what I'd expect from your sudden high fish load in your tank. Your tank is still too young for all those fish. I would highly suggest removing most of the fish in order to let your tank slowly adjust to the added bioloads. As a rule of thumb, one fish should only be added every 3-4weeks to allow the tank to adjust.

I would also suggest a water change immediately.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

to change some of the water,how long should tap water sit in a pail?

I have drops to take out chlorine,actually i think they sell a cheap thing to treat tap water as it pours into pail

ToX
    Buy A RO/DI, 165$ and you wont have as much algea problems... and you dont have to wait 24h for the cholrine to evaporate... trust me RO all the way

nutrifin

Get rid of the nutrifin test kits. No very good quality IMO. Also the scales are too close color wise to each other to be accurate. If you want better accuracy,ease of reading, and ease of testing proceedure go with seachem. And if you really want accurate buy Salifert, and you won't buy anything else ever. Also very important to get an R/O unit.
    Jason

I have to admit, I do love my RO unit. Even though ever since I own it I keep picking up water in the basement :rant:
    I think you are experiencing a mini-cycle or ammonia spike. It is hard to determine just how high these things go. Most marine fish tend to be week against this ammonia, I think it burns their gills. Although considered cruel, some fish can survive, but I think most are just too expencive to think of trying. You should not be able to detect ammonia in an established system. That is why adding little amounts of fish on a long period of time is easier on our tanks.

I saw once how one of our major chain LFS checked water - quick dip strips tests, 5-in-1. Can't comment qualty of the tests (liquids could get frozen during shipping or changed after exposure to sun), but I had them - Jungle Labs 5-in-1, Hagen Nutrafin and now Seachem with calibrating solutions. All give very different data.

There was some explanations on seachem website (faqs or forums, don't remember), that some tests that have same basic reagents for testing, are measuring total ammonia (tests are marked NH3/NH4), instead of toxic ammonia only, which is measured by theit kits and ammonia monitor, based on another reagents use.

On the other hand, ammonia monitor never showed changes in my tank, only when checking it's usability with household ammonia and curing live rock.

I hate buying tests and then guessing if what they show is true...

Honestly I don't think this is an area to try & save money on. Test kits are not that expensive compaired to everything else we need to buy in this hobby and the difference in price between a good Salifert kit and a crappy Hagen kit doesn't justify the cheaper kits in any way.

I've used seachem kits & they're okay. I very greatly prefer Salifert.

Anything else is dubious IMHO.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Yes, difference in the price is not big (I didn't know that)- I checked, mops.ca has ammonia test for CND$18. But it still measures the sum of toxic ammonia and ammonium, and limit of sensitivity is 0.5 ppm of total ammonia.

Okay but I don't see it as an issue.

Any ammonia is bad. The pass / fail on this is if you can detect ammonia or not. IMHO how much ammonia you have isn't as important. If you can detect any (and you're not cycling) you need to do something.

I don't even regularily test for ammonia, the only time I would is with a QT / hospital tank. And those get daily partials and you'll likely want a supply of AmQuel on hand when QTing anyway.

For regular tests (Ca & Alk) I need accuracy & precision because the results of those tests tell me if I need to dial my reactor up or down and they determine what I migh dose & how much of it.

Cheap test kits here cost you way more in the long rung because there's a huge difference between 381 and 400 ppm Ca (registers the same on a hagen kit). The difference isn't so much on the Ca side as where the alk balances out.

Not being able to keep these balanced in addition to not providing optimal conditions for your coral risks cementing your sandbed and building up deposits in your kit, shortening the life of pumps etc.

So spending a couple bucks more on good test kits is really the least expensive option long term.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.