Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering using 2 part additive...

I have a 75 gallon with 4 largish heads of Acropora and some frags. Ive been driping kalk every night to maintain CA stable at 400 and alk at 9dkh. I do 10% weekly water changes with natural salt water just to replenish trace elements.

The acroporas in my tank are doing good, all are showing new growth.

Now Im thinking it might be eazier to replenish trace elements using a 2 part additive of sorts. I would like to keep dripping kalk, Ive heard its good for ph and alk.

I dont have the slightest clue what additives to get for my purpose or what to test for while using them.

Can anybody having had success with sps and such additives give me some information to help me get started?

Thank you in advance.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

SEACHEM REEFBUILDER and TURBO CALCIUM are great additivies. used them for years along with KALK. start real slow with these as you might not need much if your dripping kalk. once you start to see a decline in ALK or CA then you can up the anti.

I've been using B-ionic (alk & ca) for about 5 yrs now, they are great products and reasonably priced. I don't keep sps's but if you look on RC for people who use this product you'll see that many have sps's with great success.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    SEACHEM REEFBUILDER and TURBO CALCIUM are great additivies. used them for years along with KALK. start real slow with these as you might not need much if your dripping kalk. once you start to see a decline in ALK or CA then you can up the anti.
    Thank you JR. I guess Im leaning towards using seachems reefbuilder...When you say start realy slow, do you mean slower than what is recomended on the instructions? Did you add the stuff dayly or weekly?

Did you test for anything else other than CA and ALK? I understand these additives contain other trace elements and I wouldnt want to create an imbalance.

When you say up the anti do you mean up the dose of 2 part?

Forgive my complete ignorance on the matter

Thank you Cakefan for your responce. Ive heard of B-ionic and have even seen nice tanks that were swearing by it. I might consider that one too. Who makes B-ionic?

For the past two years I've drip kalk and use home made two part for my 75 gal SPS.

Works great!
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

I believe ESV makes B-ionic
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

well, I guess the best start first is to see what your tank needs. if its holding its own with just the KALK and water changes then no need to add anything. If your SPS are slowly bringing 1 or both down [CA& ALK] then you can start adding. what I meant by slowly is add a 1/4 of what they say and and test the next day to see how your tank reacts. if both CA&ALK are low its recommended to slowly bring up the ALK first then the CA.
    I added ALK [buffer] first every other day until it was okay then started with TURBO. after that I just rotated. 1 week buffer, 1 week calcium but always test.
    magnesium is also one to test for and add if needed.If you don't have a high load on your calcium you might be just fine with KALK.

ESV (maker of b-ionic) recommend halving the standard dose of b-ionic if you are using kalkwasser. The only issue with b-ionic might be a drop in magnesium if there's alot of corraline growth. B-ionic adds magnesium at a safe level for starting tanks, but established tanks using lots of calcium may need more.

I like b-ionic because its very stable and safe, little effect on ph, and alkalinity stays stable. But if I had an all sps tank, I'd do kalkwasser with it. And as Cakefan says its cost effective because you don't need alot. I use 30ml of both parts every other day.
    But as Johnny says if thing are ok now why bother?
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

What Im worried about is not calcium or alk but other trace elements like you mentioned magnesium. I have alot of coraline growth so surely that stuff is getting used up prety quickly..

I guess even if these additives have just a bit of magnesium in it that could be good. But who knows I might be fine with my water changes, I should get a test.?.

Smile

IMO unless your going full hog on the SPS/CLAMS, KALK and water changes should be fine. if you feel after testing [key word] that things are low then go 2 part but if its not needed then don't bother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast