Finally making the jump to Salt water tank...

Hi everybody,
    Just started two weeks ago with salt water reef tank... I also have 3 soft water tank in the house a 20 gal and two 10 gal in the kids rooms... Just got myself a 33gal Saltwater setup with live rocks, live sand and 3 clown fish... two black and white and an orange (nemo) type... I'm presently slowly getting the tank ready for my next adition... The 3 clown fish were already in the tank when I got it... Probably will have tons of questions to ask... Any info will help...

Eric

Welcome to our community Eric,

I think one of the interesting things about this hobby is that there is so much to learn. Like you I am just starting out, but if you have any question, please ask away. I am sure someone will have a solution or a thought.

Jason
    Jason

Hi and welcome.
    One thing to think about ... I assume you've moved the tank from someone else's place to yours and re-added everything: sand, rocks, water & fish.

You'll need to be careful that you don't have a spike in some of the bad stuff: ammonia, nitrites and then nitrates.
    - When you remove rocks from water, even briefly, you can get some die off of the micro & mini organisms (from bacteria to pods and worms).
    - Disturbing the sand bed can similarly trigger die off and release of detritus that's gathered there for months or even years.
    This can pollute your water and at worst cause a complete crash of your new tank.

If you aren't monitoring for ammonia and nitrites, you should start.
    You should be prepared to do a few heavy (15% or more) salt water changes in the next few weeks (depending on what levels you measure).

Try to stay at the light end of feeding until the tank has been running for a few weeks at least. More food is more load on the weakened bio-filtration provided by the rocks.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks for the info Cress,

I brough my water to be tested to my friend at the local pet store and the water level was fine but my salt was way off... Mindless to say that I got myself a good salinity tester and started to do some water changes to get the salt level in the normal side... I got myself some new live rock a week ago and cured them in salt water with a fan and heather for a week before I installed them in my tank... did it so yesterday and at the same time included two other fish and a Shrimp to my set up as the 3 clown that I had didn't have anymore favorite spot in the tank with the movement of the rocks... I introduced a clearner shrimp and a 6 lines wrasse and also a Royal Gramma... Was told they are hardy fish and would work best with my 35 gal tank... My Gramma and shrimp is roaming in the tank fine but the Gramma seem a bit shy... but when I feed them this moring they both came out to feed... so that is a good thing... I will now wait for a couple of weeks before I add anyting else... Any idea of my next purchase could be to add to my setup?

Finally making the jump to Salt water tank...-tank-june-2013-3.jpg

Here is my setup as it stand today...

Finally making the jump to Salt water tank...-tank-june-2013-1.jpg

My clowns meeting their new tank mate...

The next question is for you.
    What do you want?
    A tank full of fish with some rocks acting as a bio-filter? FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock)
    A soft coral (lps) tank?
    A hard/stony cora (sps) tank?

If you want any coral, you might need to step up your lighting.
    If you want a lot of fish, you might need to step up your filtration.
    Creatures like shrimp/crabs/worms/etc. don't effectively add to your bio-load, so, don't worry too much about adding them.

A FOWLR tank will need more water changes (read: money for salt). The more fish, the more filtration and water changes you'll need.

At this point, I would recommend that you wait and go slow. Give it another month before you consider adding any other fish.

Give it a couple weeks before you add any coral. Let yourself settle into a routine before increasing your bio-load and possibly your own work load.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.