Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quarantine Tank

Quote Originally Posted by markkrysztofiak
    New crushed coral substrate and heater is all thats in it. Put a new Pink Smith Damsel in and removed it about a month later to start the new display tank. I now have a crab (I think a box crab) that I will put into the sump soon.
    Mark, you're going to have issues with that later on. The substrate creates 2 problems:

1) It will absorb some meds, particularily copper. These will later be released if your pH drops, likely harming a fish you were QTing later on.

2) It makes it extremely difficult to tell if the tank is clean. Since you cannot count on a clean up crew nor a bio filter, you have to keep the tank pristine. You'll end up with food & waste rotting in the substrate.

The only animals in your QT tank should be the ones in QT. Anything else at best complicates treatment, at worse competes for resources or may injure your new (and stressed) fish.

I know this sounds like a lot of work & an ugly tank, but none of it is hard work & it means your display tank doesn't get infected with all kinds of nasty possiblitities.

Keep in mind that few marine fish breed in captivity in significant enough numbers to supply the hobbiests, you unless other wise stated assume your fish was born in the ocean & most probably infected with something.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Quote Originally Posted by CoralReefManiac
    Thanks alot. What you have just told me Krugar makes a whole lot of sense. I do have a sponge in my tank that's been there for a while. I should put that in the filter of my quarantine then???
    You can, it won't hurt, but a new foam is okay too.

The bio filter will give you more "margin for error" if you don't have to treat for anything, but as I said you will loose it the first time you treat. Antibiotics & copper will both take it out & those are frequently used prophylactically.

IMHO it's a false sense of security. A QT tank is fragile. Amnonia spikes and pH swings are way too easy and these kill fish dead. The only thing preventing them is you keeping the tank pristinely clean, doing as many partials as it takes (with aged water), and getting completely anal about it.

Cheers!

Thanks Krugar, so what I should do now is: 1.move the crab and substrate to the sump, 2.take the bio-wheel off during any med. treatment and keep it in the sump, 3. sorry CoralReefManiac for kinda getting off YOUR topic.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Quote Originally Posted by markkrysztofiak
    Thanks Krugar, so what I should do now is: 1.move the crab and substrate to the sump, 2.take the bio-wheel off during any med. treatment and keep it in the sump, 3. sorry CoralReefManiac for kinda getting off YOUR topic.
    It's on topic

If you do what you're suggesting you'll pass any infections from your QT tank to the display. Everything in the QT needs to be considered expendable, it never gets within 10 feet of your display.

The only exception to this is the fish itself, once it's proven itself healthy.

The bio wheel is garbage anytime you need to treat. The tank. Even if you take it out & pop it in a bucket of saltwater until you're done treating, it's likely infected & can re-infect the QT tank. I wouldn't use one at all. Simple sponge & carbon filtration is about it.

Keep everything clean, and you'll be in good shape.

Something that is forgotten is to check your SG. When you vaccuum out the uneaten food & droppings, you replace it with saltwater. If you just fill it back up to your fill line you're also replacing the evap with salt water.

A simple trick is to top off your evap to the fill line before you vaccuum & your SG should stay reasonable. But it's still good to check it.

Another quick brain dump, pick up another heater for your saltwater container. It's easier on the fish if the change water is the same temp as the tank.

Cheers!

Hey Krugar,

Thank you for all the info. How long have you been in the hobby??? Your from Hull, that`s cool. If ever you want to make trades or something let me know. How big is your tank, what do you have in it and where do you shop for your stuff. Thanks again. :wink5:
    125g with 40g sump

I've been "imported" to Hull, I'm from Kitchener about an hour west of Toronto. The aclimation is taking longer than I expected

I'm taking a long route with my 90G. It'll have been set up for a year this Canada Day, but I used mostly reef-bones and base rock in the set up to save some money.

The down side to this is I planned on taking about a year without any real coral in the tank to let it mature. I have an assorted collection of frags I "play" with, mostly because I can't just have fish lol.

Either way with the exception of a zoo colony that's in need of splitting up (brown with pink centers) nothing will be in need of fragging for some time. I might have lps in the summer or fall.

I don't really plan to ramp up the coral until after June. I'll likely not be able to resist a few more frags in the mean-time but nothing big

For shopping I check here first, if Ivan's got it you're not likely to beat his price & service. If not I chech Marinescape next, then Aquarium Services. If I still can't find what I'm after, then I start searching on-line, ask in the forums. Montreal is only a couple hours away, it's not out of the question...

Cheers!

So you shop for your stuff on this website??? I went to see your aquarium pics. Its really nice. I love your Copperband and your Regal Tang. I lost my CBB about 3 weeks ago and lost my Regal 2 months ago.(my fish always gets parasites) Very sad :bawling: , he didn`t pick at anything in my tank and was so beautiful. So to replace him, I got a Kole Tang au Feb 12. So far so good. :biglaugh2
    125g with 40g sump

90%+ of what I have was obtained from Aquaria.ca. A large chunk came from the classifieds and other members of the forums, but if I bougt it new, odds are I bought it from Ivan.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12