Question DIY Calcium Reactor

Not quite a true DIY project, but I have an unused skimmer that I was considering loading with calcium. Would it work in theory and if so, what would I need to add to complete the reactor?

Thanks again, Nelson

You could try load it with sulphur beads and calcium closer to the outlet, this could turn it into a sulphur denitrator.

The sulphur takes about 48 hours to colonize with bacteria that remove the nitrates, the process makes the water slightly acidic, it passes through the calcium and is neutralized which liberates calcium. (try saying all of that in one breath) :wink5:
    HermitCrab

I have to admit that running my tank water through sulphur scares the you know what out of me. I'm assuming by your suggestion that I could kill two birds with one stone...remove the nitrates and inject the calcium. If nitrates aren't a problem, could I not simply add the calcium? I'm thinking that the gizmo would require some mechanism to control the calcium output wouldn't it?

Nelson

You would need something to free up the calcium unless it was extremely fine particles and then it would most likely fog things up.
    HermitCrab

I've looked into your suggestion of converting the skimmer to a sulphur denitrator more and I think it's a very good idea and doable. Will give it a shot. Are sulphur beads available at marine LFS's?

Nelson

This site answeres the question about cost:
    http://mars.reefkeepers.net/USHomePa...Denitrator.htm

Marc's answer: Sulfur's cost is about US$2 per kg

There must be a copyright on the process because the company that produces the de nitrators charge an almost 400 US for them and upgrades that allow people to transform their calcium reactors into Sulfur Denitrators cost 89 US and only contain a bag of sulfur, a bag of calcium carbonate, 2 foam filters that are pre-cut to fit in the calcium reactors and a valve. I would expect to get the sulfur at a chemist shop of some sort.
    HermitCrab